Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
132 Posts
In 71-72 all small block cars with factory tach had a redline of 5K...all big block cars had a redline of 5.5K. They were the only two tachs offered in '71 from the factory. The parts counters sold a few LS6 redline tachs (6.5K) with white characters, but they were a service part only...never factory installed. I've only seen a few, but they are out there.

· Gold Founding Member
574 Posts
My Camino which I have owned and purchased from the second owner back in the early 80's has a white faced 6500 RPM tach. I had the dash out in the mid 80's for a wiring problem and as I recall it had a mid to late 1970 date code. Knowing the previous owner I am confident he never changed it.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
There are 3 listed in my parts book, one for 454 Special High Performance (which the engine wasn't released in Chevelles or Monte Carlos), one for 400-2 (402) and 454 exc. Special High Performance and one for 307 & 350 and Monte Carlo 400-2. No redline ratings are given in the parts book for the 71 though.

Seems odd that any assembly plant would use a redline unit that's higher than the engine was rated for, ie, a 6500 redline tach with an engine that should have a 5500 redline. That could set them up for unnecessary warranty repair. If it's early enough in the model year I suppose some 6500 rpm tachs would be available in preparation of the LS6 being offered but, apparently, a few may have slipped by the final inspectors. :cool:

{Edit} Just a note but El Caminos are Chevelles, just another of the several body styles available. :yes:

· Gold Founding Member
574 Posts
Seems odd that any assembly plant would use a redline unit that's higher than the engine was rated for, ie, a 6500 redline tach with an engine that should have a 5500 redline. That could set them up for unnecessary warranty repair. I
Thats been my argument for years. There were no solid lifter engines in '71, so putting that tach in a A/C equipped hydraulic liftered engine is a recipe for disaster, but it appears it was done for some reason. While I am not the original owner of mine I know its history well back into the 70's and that tach has been there the whole time.

Maybe they ran out of 5500's and put the 6500's in just to keep the line moving? Thats why I would like to see the build dates to see if there is a time frame.

· Premium Member
132 Posts
This one is in my '71 SS El Camino.

The "GG" code is for a 71-72 5.5K redline floorshift cluster...so that tach has either been replaced or it was built wrong from the supplier originally. They wouldn't use the same production code for two different clusters...it would have caused too much trouble on the line. Trust me, I work for GM on the assembly line...that would be an issue. I would be curious to see the buildsheets and cluster ID stickers for the cars that have the 6.5K tachs from the factory. What is the buildsheet call out for the cluster...and what is the identity sticker on the cluster...for that matter, what is the build date of the tach (should be rubber stamped on the part). There shouldn't be any factory 6.5K redline tachs out there. They never made an LS6 Chevelle in '71.

· Premium Member
4,503 Posts
I helped install Alan's dash, the tach ws rubber stamped "Aug 70" in purple ink. It may not have been the tach that came with that cluster, but having seen and handled it, I don't doubt its originality.

· Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Hey guys I know this is an old Thread but need some help. I'm liquidating an estate of my best frieend of 30 years and he has a pile of NOS parts. I found this amongst his tachometer stash. Looks like a GM issued piece for a 71 LS-6. Comments????
Auto part Tool Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Metal
Gauge Measuring instrument Gas Auto part Font

· Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Hey guys I know this is an old Thread but need some help. I'm liquidating an estate of my best frieend of 30 years and he has a pile of NOS parts. I found this amongst his tachometer stash. Looks like a GM issued piece for a 71 LS-6. Comments???? View attachment 765133 View attachment 765134
Levon,

What a cool find. Sure looks that way to me, "1971 LS6".

5657407 is shown here for 1971 as used with "Special High Performance" equipment.

GMPartsWiki - Chassis and Body Parts Catalog P&A 11 April 1977

· Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
My suspicion is that it was an early release for cars that were cancelled. The repros have different redline markings. He has more unique stuff and as time permits I'll post them.

Reactions: Coppertop

· Premium Member
475 Posts
Thats been my argument for years. There were no solid lifter engines in '71, so putting that tach in a A/C equipped hydraulic liftered engine is a recipe for disaster, but it appears it was done for some reason. While I am not the original owner of mine I know its history well back into the 70's and that tach has been there the whole time.

Maybe they ran out of 5500's and put the 6500's in just to keep the line moving? Thats why I would like to see the build dates to see if there is a time frame.
1971 350 LT-1's in Z28's And Corvette's had solid lifters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts