Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1971 SS hood (non-cowl induction) has a large metal panel blocking the rear of the hood. It seems its there so that the cowl hood wont be functional. Did all SS hoods with the bulge have this block off panel? Has anyone taken theirs out?

------------------
Ryan

G

·
My SS hood has the "block-off" panel... I haven't thought of removing mine, although that's an interesting idea

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ryan,
The SS hood I just bought for my 71' has the block off plate also. I'm not sure if it is a GM hood or repo. I was just looking at it last nite wondering the same thing about removing the plate, does'nt look like it should be that difficult and should definatly force some air into the engine compartment.
BTW, look at my post in "Body" section...about the rear chrome trim. how does yours fit?

------------------
68SS & 69 Vette
"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you"

·
Registered
93 Posts
After 2 years, I finally noticed that my repro cowl hood had this blockage. So I took a hack saw, pair of pliers, and a grinder to it. Taught that hood a lesson!
Does it make a difference? It at least makes me think that my car is faster
BTW, if you lifted a factory cowl hood and a reproduction one, you'd feel the difference. The factory hood is noticeably heavier.

Mike

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
All of the original SS bulge hoods have the block-off panel if they don't have the functional "flapper" door.

All of the original hoods that came with the functional Cowl Induction "flapper" door do not have the block-off panel. Also, the functional CI hoods had the circular mating surface for the air cleaner seal. The plain SS bulge hoods do not have the circular mating surface.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
<A HREF="http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
</A>

[This message has been edited by dcarr (edited 12-27-2001).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know how its held on there? I cant tell whether its just spot welded or something else. I would like to take it off but dont want to do anything to ruin my hood.

------------------
Ryan
~1971 Chevelle SS
~350ci Automatic
~Nevada Silver W/ Black Stripes
~Black Bucket Interior

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine seemed like it was tack-welded or heat pressed or something(I don't know jack about metal and manufacturing). I actually wouldn't take it off if you value your hood and/or the integrity of your chevelle. I took it off my "beater" car and it was also a repro cowl hood that is of lesser value than a GM one.

Mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would think that piece is more of structural support for the hood and I would not cut it completely out. On the flapper hood there is a 1 1/2" to 2" high hole on the back of the hood. If it were mine and I was to cut a hole in it I would leave about a 1/2" of angle on the bottom. Just my .02.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.