Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been reading the posts lately about the Sprints and recalled that i know where one is sitting in Oklahoma. Went through some pictures I had taken of it last year. Its fairly complete, but missing motor and hood, its a silver colour with black interior and if I remember correctly it had the round dash in it. Also still has the GMC emblem on grill. Its pretty solid and worth restoring. Not sure on price of it. My question is this, is there a difference in the VIN for a 350 to a 454 Sprint. Ill be heading down there this weekend and i'm planning on looking at it again and getting as much info on it as i can, and if possible maybe buy it. Any ideas on price for one, ballpark figure. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
in 71 there was no designation in the VIN as to engine. That changed in 1972
A 454 of course would have to be a "custom", which also could be a 350.
a "custom" VIN would start 536801 both the 454 and 350 could have the same numbers.
the 5 designates GMC Sprint, the 36801 designates Custom V8
The rally dash was an option, and seems to have been pretty popular on a sprint. Mine has the rally dash with a 350-4bbl.
without pictures of what is there it is real hard to put a value on it. How complete what options etc. But hey the grill emblem if its there and correct is worth up to $500 all by itself, unless you are selling it to me which in that case its worth $100 lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll make note of the numbers for the custom and check the Sprint when i see it. It is pretty solid, all the sheet metal is in really good shape, the bed is solid and i'm sure the frame is good being from Oklahoma. Another question though, did the 12 bolt only come in the 454 or was it available in the 350. Just trying to get as much info as i can before I head down. Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Mine has a 12-bolt and originally had a 350. I don't know if that's an option, as I couldn't salvage all of my build sheet from the top of the gas tank...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts