Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anyone have pictures or instructions on how the rear bumper mounts up. 71 chevelle thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe it is the same as a 70:

Upper and lower bracket on both sides of bumper. 4 bolts go through trunk(2 on each side) to the upper bracket. 2 bolts from license plate area into bottom of trunk. Bolt on each bottom bracket into bottom of trunk.

Finger tight the trunk bolts, start license bolts and bottom bracket bolts but leave very loose. Get bumper/trunk lid gap and side alignment as close as possible then tighten trunk bolts to hold it. Step back and repeat this step a few dozen times. Once happy, start tightening bottom bracket bolts to set the bumper angle then tighten license plate bolts. Repeat another few dozen times until satisfied or you suffer a mental breakdown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I'm going to see if I can figure it out with your advice. I got the car with the bumpers off the car so I'm not completely sure how these brackets are suppose to go onto the bumper. I haven't been able to find any pictures or any videos on YouTube.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Again, assuming 71 is the same-ish setup as a 70:

The two brackets on the bottom of your picture should be the top set. With the double bolt facing the trunk and the other bolt holes bolting to the bumper itself.

The other two are the bottom brackets that bolt to the bumper then bottom of trunk pan.

Pictures of old 70 bumper with brackets:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking at the 71 bracket pictures online, I would take a guess that the bottom brackets are installed with the two holes matching with the top bracket 2-hole that are bolted from inside the trunk and then the bottom hole bolts to the under trunk location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, assuming 71 is the same-ish setup as a 70:

The two brackets on the bottom of your picture should be the top set. With the double bolt facing the trunk and the other bolt holes bolting to the bumper itself.

The other two are the bottom brackets that bolt to the bumper then bottom of trunk pan.

Pictures of old 70 bumper with brackets:
View attachment 695790
View attachment 695791

1 - 11 of 11 Posts