Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sort of curious about the possibility of an aluminum head LS6 as per my previous post.Does anybody know if Chevrolet built a LS6 Chevelle in 1971?I know they built 188 or so LS6 vettes in 71.How about Chevelles??4475 LS6 Chevelles in 1970 is a lot!More then the LS5 option.I find it hard that not any were built in 1971.Could they have planned it like the LS7 vette in 1970 then dropped it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Per the other thread on this, the Corvette LS-6 in 71 did have factory aluminum heads. Perhaps it was possible to get a Vette motor installed in the Chevelle, but not likely.
John Walker

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The climate was changing in the summer of '70 around the time of the press long-lead previews. GM was into being a good corporate citizen and dropped compression ratios in order to try and encourage use of low lead and no lead gas. It was up to the customer to actually buy the stuff. Meanwhile at Ford they had dismantled the Performance department. Chrysler still offered the Hemi for those who could afford to purchase/feed/insure the thing. Curiously it has recently come to light that Chrysler stopped casting the Hemi blocks in '69 but continued to install them into '71. Back to Chevrolet now. They were planning to put Z28 equipment onto the still new 400 mouse in order to cover the big-inch market & do away with the heavier 402 mark IV. There was a management change with a new set of priorities (can't blame them given the mood of the government) and all those projects were stopped; except for turbocharging (Twin-Turbo Novas) & wankel engine development (remember the new '75 Monza was to get the rotary engine but got the 262 as a stopgap). As for my opinion (just that) I doubt that Chevy actually made any LS6 '71 Chevelles, much less aluminum head versions (except for Corvettes). Even a Canadian '71 Monte Carlo owner's manual I have lists the LS6 as being available, but they just didn't come through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard some rumours of a few LS6 71's being built but I think because the COPO was dismantled by that time(???) they would have come through factory channels for executives or engineers involved with prototyping. I'm only guessing here but I recall either reading or speaking to someone about this subject.

Probably about as rare as the dealer installed 'vette motors they offered for Novas in 1962. Saw one at the Gainsville SuperChevyShow last Oct. Nothing like a 160mph speedo and EFI in a grocery getter. What a sleeper!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 05-26-99).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Todd may be right about the factory exec thing. The COPO program wasn't dismantled at that time, since they even produced a few COPO Vegas with heavy duty blocks. They would ultimately have turbochargers added by Yenko.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.