Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my original dried out with chunks missing door seals with some new soft seal ones.The wind noise is unbearable and much worse than it was with the worn out ones that I replaced.The door pins are tight and I’ve attempted the”bend the window frame” approach to no avail.When looking at the new seal there appears to be a design flaw at the top curve on the back edge of the window frame as the seal is seated level with the metal channel.I have contacted the vendor and the manufacturer and received no reply.Does anyone make a seal that works?Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1971 El camino 454 4 Speed
578 Posts
I have used soft seal with no problems,* Left side has a red dot on the top corner at the vent window.

These are the ones I have been using.

NPD* Part number C-10694-102C
68-72 EL camino Weather Strips
Soft Seal number on bag 5032

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used soft seal with no problems,* Left side has a red dot on the top corner at the vent window.

These are the ones I have been using.

NPD* Part number C-10694-102C
68-72 EL camino Weather Strips
Soft Seal number on bag 5032
I’m pretty sure that these are what I have now.I verified that they were installed on the correct doors(left with the red dot).I am considering trying some Steele brand seals.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm also not very happy with my door seals from this vendor. I have all of the white plastic pins in the correct location and the the overall shape of the rubber weatherstripping is good.

I still have large windy gaps. Door fit and edge gaps are spot on. The window frame does not seem to be bent. I wish it fit better and did not let in so much wind.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,812 Posts
I got a set of Metro on my '70 Elky, and the fit and seal is excellent.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I seem to remember reading a few threads about the door seals not being properly marked L & R. Folks had been having problems because they had been putting them on the wrong sides. I “think” the protruding lips on the top fronts need to be pointing toward the door frame and folks had installed them with the lips pointing outward. Or vice versa?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks;here’s the deal...I obviously had the soft seal weatherstripping reversed on my doors,meaning my problem was related to user error.I did install the Metro seals correctly and managed to eliminate 90% of my wind noise.The thing to remember is that these seals should protrude like “ears” sticking out.I do have to slam my doors,but that seems to be getting better as time passes.Properly installed seals made a world of difference in my air conditioner’s efficiency.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
By "reversed", do you mean you had the driver's side weatherstripping on the passenger side and vice-versa?

What vendor had the Metro brand weather stripping?

Thank you very much for closing out this topic. Many times we never hear whether the advice given was useful.

Rick

Reactions: M Zeigler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By "reversed", do you mean you had the driver's side weatherstripping on the passenger side and vice-versa?

What vendor had the Metro brand weather stripping?

Thank you very much for closing out this topic. Many times we never hear whether the advice given was useful.

Rick
That would be correct.I had the doors reversed,which looked correct but obviously wasn’t.I ordered the Metro seals from Tamraz via eBay for a little over $40 shipped.Thanks for the advice and I hope this will help other “know what I’m doing” installers....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have quite a bit of wind noise.I still have to slam the doors.I noticed that the original door striker posts have a sleeve that is pretty well worn and flops around.I have a new pair of OEM type strikers with the hardened collar on order and hopefully this will cure my problem.I will report back later this week with my results.....David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts