Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 463 049 heads 229/[email protected]
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I’ve been on here doing homework the past year. I had to write this post up to thank everyone on here for all the honest advice and steering me in the right direction.
long post I guess…here’s the combo I ended up with and it’s great on the street and took it to the track for my virgin run

-454 .040 h693cp pistons(next build I won’t cheap out here.
-stock crank and rods with arp bolts
-balanced assembly
-clay smith 229/241 hr setup
-049 heads bigger valves bowl blend
-roller rockers smith brothers push rods to length
-performer rpm intake
-Holley 750 dp mechanical secondaries
-precision industries 2800 stall
-th350 shift kit
-12 bolt posi 3.31 gears

I was hoping to have a nice street car with a decent gear since I do mostly highway driving. My expectations were 13 second flat or low 13.
I ended up with a best time of 12.2 at 109.84mph. Needless to say I went home with the biggest grin and I’m still pumped. I know it has more in it too.
This was my fist time ever at a drag strip.
Does anyone know if what and how much more this setup is worth time et wise?

Thank you to all the members who share all of this advice so freely. It’s a crazy feeling having the tires hook up and leave for the first time. Something I’ve never felt until Friday!
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Receipt Product Font Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't have any drag racing experience but my car is similar to yours and I would be ecstatic with low 12's. I'm sure you can get into the 11's, hopefully the racers will chime in soon.

Reactions: joeedso

·
Premium Member
9,151 Posts
Sounds like a well thought out BBC Welcome to TC.
Your best bet for advice about racing and your BB is in the Performance forum. Many knowledgable people over there will help you out if need be.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Goal exceeded and then some!
Very nice job especially for first time racing with a brand new combo. Do you know the weight of your car and what rear tires you are running?

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
Leave it alone and enjoy it!!!!! The car runs low 12's, leaves FAIRLY well for a high geared car and you can actually drive it anywhere. There MAY be a little left in an 850 carburetor. But this will take away a little on the around town driving. Assuming you're over in the Philly area being you went to Atco. I'm about an hour and half west in Lancaster. I ran Maple Grove and Cecil County with my car.

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 463 049 heads 229/[email protected]
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking. It's hard to just leave it alone though:sneaky: It was such a rush for the first time out. I'd like to get out to both of those tracks at some point. Some guys were saying the prep at Atco is not that great for drag radials on test and tune nights. Honestly though...I wasn't expecting to 60ft the way it did. I'm so used to the tires breaking loose everywhere. Also, I'm running stock suspension with front sway bar and Bilstein shocks all around. All I did was double nut the lower control arms. I'm just being greedy at this point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scale....

If you have a salvage yard close by, go there. They weigh you in and weigh you out, paying you for the difference. Usually they have a separate area for batteries and precious metals, so you don't have to actually drive your car back through the scrap area where you would pick up something in a tire potentially.
But it WILL get you across the scale, and they should have external displays...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts