Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Got the SS gauge dash back in my 70 tonight and two things don't work--instrument panel lights and gas gauge. Both worked before dash removal. PCB is new. Tail lights work. Dome light does not work. Replaced headlight switch, no change. Any ideas?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
328 Posts
Make sure the panel has a good ground. I had the same problem until I added a ground wire from the panel to a metal dash support.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
did you check the fuse for the dash lights? It is a short one about half the size of the others on the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the fuse checked out. I will try grounding the panel but I wonder why it worked before, and not now....

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It could be two different problems. The dome light should have 12v to it all the time on the orange wire. The door jam switches or headlight switch supply the ground. For the dash lights doesnt the 70 have a ground ring that goes behind the headlight switch during install? I believe that ground is tied to the cluster ground and also to the wiper switch ground. Then one of the ground connections goes to the ebrake lever housing. Maybe you can remove the dash pad and get to the cluster electrical plug and see if you have 12v to the feed wire that feeds the PCB. If so it is a ground issue, if no 12v then you need to trace that back.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dave,

Yes, the h/l switch has a ground ring and that's attached and grounded to the dash frame. Dome light is still a mystery, haven't really checked it out yet. I am pretty sure the PCB is getting +12V because the amp gauge seems to be working. I got sick of the electrical crap and am in the process of installing a 200R4 in the car...so I'll get back to it Thursday and let you know what I find. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Tony,
The ammeter should be on a different circuit than the other items that arent working, I will try and find some schematics later and see if I can get some more info. If it is a ground issue it wont affect the ammeter as it is in series with the battery and not grounded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts