Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the original air cleaner is for a late Chevelle SS (L34)? I have seen "original" mid to late year cars with chrome open element air cleaners yet the assembly manual shows the closed and is dated early 1969. Was there a transitionary period or did they just use up what they had before changing? What is correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
No Cowl Induction meant you had a open aircleaner. Guys if I'm wrong please correct me. I have heard later in the year that solid lifter big blocks had a dual snorkle with a chrome lid.

------------------
69 SS 454
69 Malibu 406
ACES Member #3635

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry... forgot to mention that this was for cars not equipped with cowl induction.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Do you have the build sheet?? There were three air cleaner assemblies used on the '70 Big Block cars. The Cowl Induction setup, the open element with the chrome lid, and the rare closed dual snorkel assembly. The Chrome lid assembly is available thru either GM or a repro is available from all the suppliers. The hardest to find is the dual snorkel closed element.
If you have the build sheet, post the code from the box marked 55 Air Cleaner. I can tell you from the code what you had.

------------------
'70 LS6
'69 Camaro Indy Pace Car
'68 Elky 396/375 M22
'69 Chevelle SS396/375
Wanted- '70 GTO Judge!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Dave, unfortunately I do not have the build sheet. My curiosity stems from never seeing a closed air cleaner (w/o cowl induction) on an SS but only either the chrome open element or the dual snorkle which I presume came on L78 and LS6 cars. I was confused by the closed air cleaner mentioned in the Chevelle assembly manual. Also, I read in Herd's book that late SS models had the closed air cleaner because GM was "concerned" about the noise from an open element. I still don't know what to think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.