Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished ripping out the alarm in my 70 SS. The guy who installed it did things like hook the neutral safety switch into the alarm, so it could start in any gear, and hacked the other wires.

The only thing that I have left is the hazard flasher. When I depress the button, nothing works. However, it the switch is depressed, then it messes up the turn signals, which then work when I pull out the button.

Any hints on the diagnosis and/or wires to check would be helpful. I have a wiring diagram but, it's not much use.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Somewhere the guy hacked into the signal wiring. Alarm goes off, lights flash. Normally these are lazy instalations. Look around under the hood towards the front for more butchered wires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. Although I think that I have removed the wiring for the alarm. I also replaced the flasher on the fuse panel. Is there anyway to test at the fuse panel to see if it is working up to that point?

What wires am I looking for?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Any cutting or splicing into the wires of the forward lamp harness. Runs down the left side under the hood.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post for Moderator:

John,

Finally disconnected the last wire for the alarm. It was a white wire which was spliced into a brown/tan wire under the dash. Thought that this would fix the flasher, but it did not.

Steering column has been replaced, and the same symptoms occur. Can I do some testing at the flasher (I believe that the warning flasher is in the fuse box)? Do I need a special flasher?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes, it's the one in the fuseblock. No, you don't need a special one. A $3.00 one from any auto store works the best. Buy a cheap one and not the heavy duty.
Now that you have the wires untangled try plugging in the new flasher can first. If that don't do it, we'll have to chase it. Easiest place to get at the wires is on the turn signal switch connector.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,

Since I switched Steering Columns, I assume the problem is either going into or coming out of the column connector. Do you know the colors of the wires in and out, so I can test with a meter.

Will also replace the flasher. Can I test at the fuse block also for juice?

Thanks.

Ralph

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not sure if you will need to get this far but the 2 blue wires (light & dark) are a good place to look at the output. These wires tie to the left and right turn signals. Best place to find these is on the turn signal switch connector.
The reason I don't suspect a problem here is these are the same wires that the turn signal uses. If there was a problem, you would also have some problem with your turn signals.
The hazard switch input wire is brown. Best place to get at it is also the turn signal switch connector. This wire comes from one of the contacts in the fuseblock. Little difficult to measure it's voltage at the fuseblock because you have to remove the flasher can to get at the contact.
The other flasher can contact on the block is orange. You should always see 12 volts to ground on it.
The hazard button overrides the turn signals and wiring. That's why they act differently. Still guessing at bad hazard can or maybe no 12 volts to the hazard can.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Sounds like the brown wire you are talking about is the one where I disconnected the last of the security system. There appears to be a female bullet inline connection, crimped into the brown wire, so I should be able to tap into there also for a test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts