Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anybody I could send my dash to have it stripped and repainted. Mine was painted somewhere along the line and I started to strip it but I think I'm just making it worse. Or if anyone has done this themselves and could tell me what they used and how they did it, that would be better yet. I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else. Thanks

------------------
Rat
67 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
314 Posts
Doug, this is a good question, I purchased a dash last spring and it had been restored with krylon and testors paint - but it wasn't cracked up anywhere. I have been wondering how to get this paint off myself. Sanding will distort the grain / leave scratches, there may be a chemical stripper that will work, I don't know, I was going to use mineral sprits on an old dash to see if it was going to eat it or not. The body guys may know of a dye remover or something. good luck and let me know.

jody
71SS454
ACES

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe "EASY-OFF" oven cleaner will remove the paint on the dash without harming the plastic.

I have not tried this myself !!!

Maybe there is an area on the back were you could test it ?

Kent

------------------

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Bead blasting with walnut shells or glass beads will remove the paint & plating without distorting the plastic. I did it to my 66 SS396 radio bezel, now I need to get it rechromed! The glass beads will cut into the plastic if you go over it too much (not noticible on the grained parts as much as the smooth parts) You can wet sand the smooth parts after bead blasting & priming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts