Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy at a local show who was trying to tell me that my turn signal pods should be outlined in silver like the rest of the gauges.He had his car there and used it as a point of reference
I have tons of original pictures of 70 SS interiors and all show these pods not outlined.This is not to mention that my dash is a 31 year old untouched unit.My question is can anybody verify that there were some plants that outlined these holes?I see more and more "restored" cars with the turn signals outlined and their owners insisting their's are correct.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My Z28

[This message has been edited by LS6-M22 (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Dean, I don't recall EVER seeing an original dash that had the turn signal pods outlined. I don't believe that was plant specific either. Rick P. or Mickey may say otherwise.

I think the reason you have seen many cars restored this way is when they get their dash returned from the chromer, it is entirely plated and I think they loose their reference as to what was correct.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rick is right on. I've seen plenty incorrectly redone and I've never seen an original with them outlined.

Actually, dashes were recently covered in Chevelle Trivia and there was a pic of a 70 dash from the brochure. If you search for it I think you might be able to see the small pods in the photo.

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

[This message has been edited by markcord (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Dean...

I have an original GM publication on 1970 Chevelle dash-panel replacement. There are many close-up pictures & it's obvious that the 4 smallest pods are NOT to be silvered.

Bob

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Dean,

Just to add - my dash is original - untouched - the turn signal pods are not outlined.

There is a good pic on page three of my web page.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

[This message has been edited by richr (edited 06-06-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.