Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 SS 350, bucket seats, 4-speed and a factory tach. Can anyone tell me if this is a rare car? I can't seem to find too many people that believe me. I got the car from the original owner who used it all its life to tow a camper. It even has SS 350 badges on the fenders. They did offer an SS 350 in 1970 didn't they? If you need the body tag info it is readily available.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The 350 was available in the SS, but there should not be any 350 emblems on the fenders, just SS.
The only engine emblems that came on an SS was the 396 and 454. All small block and 402 cars just had a plain SS on the fenders.
The only way to tell if the car came with a 350 is to find the build sheet, on a 70 the VIN wont tell you , it will only tell you if the car came with a v8 or a 6cyl. But you can check it against the engine code, if the last 6 digits of the vin are on the block, then you have the original engine.
But you will still need the build sheet to tell if it's an SS or not.

Good luck.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS 350
72 MonteCarlo

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When I ordered my Chevelle in May of 1970, I was told that the only way I could get an SS was with a 396 or bigger. As far as I know, 1971 was the first year that an SS could be ordered with a 350. Maybe someone else has more info, but that's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just checked the "ole dealer brochure' again and according to it, the 350HP 396 was the basic engine on the SS models. Did the original owner change the front clip? What kind of hood does it have? All of the SS models had the "special" hood as well. Again, check the numbers on the engine block. They should tell the story, if the engine wasn't swapped.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You couldn't get a 350 S.S. car in ' 70, they were 402's and 454's.The 402 was still called a S.S.396, but was a .030 over 396.The first year you could get a 350 S.S. car was '71.Are you sure it is a '70? What do the tail lights look like?Square or 4 round ones?What does the cowl tag say after ST on top?

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like a very cool car , but if its truely is a 70 then its not a real SS or the engine has been changed because all my brochures dont list a small block for 70SS , the 4 speed , SS Dash,SS Hood,<non cowl> and many SS options could be ordered on non-SS's I understand the quest for finding a true SS and wish mine was but if you find out yours isn't the real deal dont be down , it still sounds like great car !!

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

[This message has been edited by catman (edited 11-28-99).]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Let me echo the others, No way it is a true 70 SS with a 350.

I posted in bench racing about an ad in www.dealsonwheels.com where someone claims to have a numbers matching 70SS 350 car. Wouldn't mind seeing it but would not bother buying it.
jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 11-28-99).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
64-65 chevelle ss came with small blocks(65 did have the famous z-16 big block option) 66-70 chevelle ss were only available with big blocks/71 on ss chevelles had both big and small blocks /no small block ss chevelles in 1970/its either a big block car with a small block or someone has cloned a ss car

[This message has been edited by BIGGUY1740 (edited 11-29-99).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.