Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 el co that I'm converting to a S/S dash with gauges. I have a 1972 S/S with the dash wiring, but having trouble matching up the engine harness with the S/S dash harness. I got a wiring conversion for a non S/S harness to an S/S gauge cluster but it dosen't help. Need someone to show me how to convert the stock engine harness to work with the S/S dash harness.
Also,does anyone know how to get ahold of "NONECK"?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The 72 dash harness doesn't match up with the 70 engine and forward lamp harnesses. 72 got major changes in the engine compartment wiring. You can make it work but you will need to move wires in the bulkhead connector to match up with the engine and forward lamp harnesses. If the 72 harness is for the SS light cluster you will also need to add amp gauge wiring to the dash harness and the forward lamp harness, and add the tach wire.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Originally posted by msperformance:
Also,does anyone know how to get ahold of "NONECK"?
I have not been able to get ahold of one as there is no neck to hold on to. Ha Ha.
What is a noneck ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO, how do i get around the problem of a 70 el co & a 72 S/S dash ? Does anyone know exactly what wires to move around ??? ( again, I DO have the complete dash harness for the S/S dash with tach & gauges )Just not the engine harness's.
& P.S. to the comic, "NONECK " is Chevelle guru,If you knew anything about Chevelles, you would know his name.
Thanks for the link.I have contacted him on the subject.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, no answer from Noneck. I need to find out how to make a stock 1970 engine & lamp harness work with a 1972 S/S tach & gauge dash harness.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The changes you need to make are to the dash harness. FYI The 72 dash harness has the key warning buzzer and TCS relay. 70 has them under the hood, key warning is the horn relay and TCS is in the engine harness. Also the 72 dash harness will likey have a seat belt warning light and buzzer, not used in 70.

If you look closely at the wire side of the dash harness bulkhead connector (separate the fuse block from the bulkhead connector) You should see letters marking the rows and columns. The rows are A,B,C and D. The columns are S,T,U and V for the forward lamp harness and W,X,Y and Z for the engine harness. The following instructions will refer to these coordinates.

Includes wire color, engine side connection and dash side connection

FORWARD LAMP HARNESS BULK HEAD CONNECTOR

AS – No wire (Should be black wire for key warning buzzer. Your warning buzzer will be under dash,)
BS – Dark Green – temp sensor – Move from CZ
CS –No change (Light Blue –LH dir signal)
DS –Black – J-block /amp gauge –Move from DX
AT –No change (Black grounds at horn button for horn relay)
BT –No wire
CT –No change (Dark Blue –RH dir signal)
DT –Black/dark Blue/White (looks like Black/White) –horn relay / amp gauge –Move from CX.
AU –No change (Light Green -head light high beams)
BU –No change (Brown –running/marker lights)
CU –Brown/White –voltage regulator / ignition switch (The brown white wire from the ignition switch is a resistor wire, supplies power to the voltage regulator when key is on) –Move from BT.
DU –Tan –brake dist block / brake warning light –Move from BS
AV –No change (Tan –head light low beams)
DV –Red –Main power feed to dash –Move from DW

ENGINE HARNESS BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

AW –Purple –starter solenoid S terminal / Neutral safety switch –Move from AZ
DW –No wire
AX –No wire (would be TCS)
BX –No change (Pink to ignition switch / engine side has white/orange /purple to coil)
CX –No wire
DX –No wire
AY –No Change (brown –coil / tach) Engine side wire to be added. SEE NOTE1
BY –No Change (dark blue oil pressure switch / oil warning light)
CY –Yellow –power to wiper motor / wiper fuse –Move from DS
DY –Light Blue –wiper motor (washer pump) / wiper switch –Move from DT
AZ –No wire
BZ –No change (orange blower motor / blower switch) Used on heat only cars, not used on A/C cars.
CZ –Dark Blue –wiper motor / wiper switch –Move from CU
DZ –Black –wiper motor / wiper switch –Move from DU

Note1: The wire in AY is found in a gauge dash harness only it is for the tach to coil. For a 70/71 harness this wire is not routed through the bulkhead connector. It is routed through a hole in the firewall.
Wires in DS and DT are for the AMP gauge, also gauge harness only wires. You will need to add these wires from the cluster connector to the connections under the hood.

NOTE: The 70 dash harness has the tach wire seperate from the bulkhead connector. Your 72 will have the tach wire in the bulkhead connector. You fwill need to add a wire from the bulkhead connector, engine side, to the coil - terminal or the TACH terminal if using GM HEI Dist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts