Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious as to what your guys thoughts are on this car in general and what it’s worth. Saw it listed for sale and asked a few questions and received more pictures. I’m told that it has an original 454, m22 and 12 bolt from a rusted out ls5 that have been rebuilt to “factory” specs and put into this solid Malibu. Also that the cowl hood and dash were also swapped over. I was told that it runs and drives.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My question would be, why would someone take a car that far into a resto and then bail on it.
Looks nice though. for the right price I would buy it. Most of the hard work is done. Only fun stuff left to do to get it looking great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought too. What do you think the “right” price would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I’d price it as a Malibu project with good parts instralled. It would mean nothing to me that it has the complete drivetrain from a 1970 LS-5 Chevelle. In fact I’d rather have one with an LS-6 crate engine. I’d say $15,000 maximum, if the body work was done to a high standard. It still has a long way to go and needs a lot of money spent to finish, the price should be set based on what clones sell for, which is in flux due to the tanking economy.

Steve R

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the pictures I’ve received, it looks like it still needs plenty body work, but was also told it is basically rust free. Any idea what clones are actually getting these days? I feel like I constantly see these cars being offered for sale in the high 60s but don’t know what they actually sell for.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
From the pictures I’ve received, it looks like it still needs plenty body work, but was also told it is basically rust free. Any idea what clones are actually getting these days? I feel like I constantly see these cars being offered for sale in the high 60s but don’t know what they actually sell for.

Hi 60's would be real SS money. This is a 30K car tops when finished.

Reactions: 71350SS and Steve R

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a tough one. To me a really well done clone can probably still bring 30-40k depending on all kinds of things ( but you would probably be investing about that much to get there on this one). This looks like a driver to me. Interior and body need work. That quarter panel is pretty wavy and you would need to check for bondo. If the glass and parts are there it can be a driver real quick though.

I feel like this is a car that someone will ask 12-15k for. I would want to be around 8k to feel comfortable though. It would need to have most of the parts to be around and drive pretty well for me to move up to 10k. - but honestly you don't usually find '70 chevelles less than 10k that are mostly there and run.

Obviously this can depend on a lot of things. I mean it's still a '70 chevelle with a running big block asking to be driven. It will probably settle around 10ish if he/she wants to sell it but by the pictures I would try to be lower. If they hold out maybe they can get higher but the market may scare some people off also.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,581 Posts
$10K- $12k depending on personal inspection.
What is the asking price?

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
To me, this is the kind of project that can nickel and dime you to death to the tune of 35/40K to build a nice driver, from what I see and that's if you have a good body shop that will give you a break. With the uncertainty of todays' economy, I would be hard pressed to spend more than 10/12K on this car and that is with a pair of eyes on it that you can really trust to inspect everything. I would also need to see real receipts for the engine, trans. and rear rebuild for sure. Sometimes you are just better off finding a car that is done. JMO on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i fully agree with 704EVER. "nickel and dime you to death" is a phrase that i can relate to, and this is with a car that we already own. ours has been parked for 20 years and i have been slowly ressurecting/upgrading it.

but it is amazing how much money mom and dad have spent to get it back in shape. unless you have ever owned an old car like this, you may not be prepared for all of the "little things" that really add up to "big things"

in the end. for example, ours needed a tranny rebuild. but we could get a new super case m22z for the same cost as the rebuild so they bought the new one for $2700. new master cylinder, new brake lines, all

linkages, shifter, fork, trunk weatherstripping, radiator support bushings, clutch and flywheel, you get the point! the car pictured in your photos is at a starting point way behind where mom and dads car is, and that is

why i agree with 704EVER. if you want to enjoy driving an old chevelle or other old car sometime in your life, for the money, i would look for one in a better starting place and save yourself the headache, unless you have

an unlimited money supply or want a long-term project such as this one looks to be. just my .02 cents. good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice from all. I understand how costs can add up for sure, I’ve had Chevy truck projects in the past but never a car. This has always been my dream car. So I’m always looking for the right one and always try to see the potential in something.

You guys ready for his asking price???
He’s asking $25k...

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,313 Posts
Dreaming at 25K, so he ain't going down to 10 - 12K. Well, not right now anyway.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
if the guy wants top dollar and not spend much more money, he would be better off spending a few weeks bolting it all back together so a potential buyer can buy it as a turn key driver and know that most of the odds and ends are there. jim

·
Premium Member
11,581 Posts
You guys ready for his asking price???
He’s asking $25k...
Check back with him come November. He may be ready for a price correction by then.
If you would have included his asking price in the opening post I’m quite sure most would have said keep looking.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
I bet the seller is expecting the drive train is worth a premium. If he would have swapped over the solid body around the cowl area of the LS5 chevelle, and kept it matching it might have brought the value up. jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn’t want to include the price in the first post. I wanted an I influenced assessment of what was being presented. I appreciate all the responses. I’ll keep an eye on the car and see what happens.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The seller is HIGH AF.

Especially in these times where people are having financial issues due to being out of work.

I'll tell you this: For the past 4 years I had a 69 Camaro. Not a real SS car but it was a resto-mod with some really nice additions. It had a fuel injected 496, a Tremec 5 speed, and a 9" rear with 3:89 gears. The paint and body were fantastic and the interior was mint with Hounsdtooth seats. I had NO intentions to sell.

But last September I was away for the weekend at the Wildwood NJ car show with a group of friends and our wives. It's a 2 day show both Friday and Saturday so we make a 4 day weekend out of it. On Friday a gentleman stopped at my car and crawled all over it. He really liked it and asked if it was for sale, I said no. Then he came back on Saturday with a buddy and they crawled all over the car asking all kinds of questions. So the guy again asked if the car was for sale. I said no but he said you have to have a price. Well by this time my wife had walked over to see what we were talking about. The guy said to her there has to be a number to buy this car. Well she looked at me and shrugged so I threw a crazy number at him. Basically I took what I figured I had invested in the car and added $20K. I figured that the guy would tell me to get bent but instead he took my name and number.

Just after Christmas he reached out to me and asked if my number was good. I told him if he showed up at my house with that number in cash and a trailer, he could take the car....well son of a biotch he did just that. So now in January of 2020, I am without a car but I have a boatload of cash. I cut a deal with my wife that I would put a decent amount of money away and set myself a budget for a new car. I promised myself that I wouldn't spend a penny over that amount unless I found a diamond in the rough.

I had only a select few cars that I was interested in and they had to have certain criteria. I either wanted a 67 or 69 Chevelle because I had one of each in the past and they both hold a special place in my heart, or possibly a 70-73 Firebird, because they are beautiful and rare. My car had to have a healthy motor (big block or LS for the Chevelle, and a 455 for the Bird), a manual trans, preferably a 5 speed because my Camaro had one and I loved it, a posi rear, and a straight body with nice paint.

Fortunately a buddy of mine who I had served in the military with who is also a car guy hit me up. He knew a guy selling a 67 Chevelle. It was a real SS car with a healthy big block, a Legend 5 speed, and a 12 bolt rear. It fit ALL of my criteria. So I made an appointment and looked at the car. I ended up buying it for exactly the budget I set for myself and I didn't have to do a thing to it.

For the record, I only paid a little bit more that his asking price for this 70. Granted a 70 might be more desirable than a 67 in some peoples eyes, but not for that kind of cash.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
My question would be, why would someone take a car that far into a resto and then bail on it.
Looks nice though. for the right price I would buy it. Most of the hard work is done. Only fun stuff left to do to get it looking great.
Because "financial bumps occur", divorce, COVID job loss, health, the list goes on and on. Or maybe he realizes just how much further he needs to take this car and can't afford the time, something changed.

This is right where I like to be, sure there are a few obvious issues and a hands-on inspection would be the next step. Check out the numbers to verify the parts claimed. If you ask me the car looks like a good starter for a project but I would not be in over 10K, call me a dreamer but I've done it with 4 other Chevelles already and to pay more than that needs a lot of documentation and verification. So it looks like a decent clone project, at 25k asking he is not a serious seller, yet. Factor in travel and transportation with his asking and you could be close to 30K. I'd move on and find a car much further along than this.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanks again. A lot of good advice in here. I’m finally in a position in my life to be able to seriously look for the right car, so I’ll be patient. I told him to keep my info and if he still has it in months to come and is willing to seriously drop the price to contact me. I wasn’t trying to insult him I was being as pilot as I could with getting my point across. I’m looking for a 70 big block 4 speed. I’d love a cranberry red but would be interested in others depending on price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He responded to my last message stating his rock bottom dollar is $22k

1 - 20 of 34 Posts