Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 Nova 350, 4 speed. Running, driveable car for $1800. That sounds like a good price to me just wondering what you guys thought.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Sounds like a great price if its not full of rust. I'v been looking around here at some for sale and the prices these cars a bringing have really gone up in last couple years.
Don't forget to check out team nova www.novas.net

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just asking because it's right down the street. I can probably go look at it tomorrow. But I have no idea about rust or the shape of the interior all I know is that it should run. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago, the guy borrowed a battery charger to make sure it started. I guess ill post whatever I find out. Maybe even some pictures if I can get them.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is rusted out a bit between the cowl, and the dash. And the frame has been bent from an accident. The car is going into a shop tomorrow to get that fixed. So basically all I will have to do is fix the rust and put a coat of primer on it. The interior was re-done a couple years ago so its in real nice shape. I am trying to figure out how to post some pictures.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if anyone cares to know as of right now the only thing that will stop me is if someone will buy the car in the next few days. But it has been advertised before and no one called so thats looking good. Just have to wait to go get a closer look at the car make sure the trunk, and floorboards aren't rusted, and to make sure it actually runs.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
I wouldn't wait too long.....even if the guy hasn't stuck any signs on it, that won't mean if going to 7-11 to pick up smokes/beer/gas, etc someone won't flag him down with the "hey man ya wanna sell that thing" move.

Check it out today, and if it checks good give him $100 and ask him if he'll hold it for 30 minutes-1 hour while you head to the bank to get the rest.

Then check out www.novaresource.com and www.stevesnovasite.com/forums Both sites have lots and lots and LOTS of good useful Nova info. :yes:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Well if anyone cares to know as of right now the only thing that will stop me is if someone will buy the car in the next few days. But it has been advertised before and no one called so thats looking good. Just have to wait to go get a closer look at the car make sure the trunk, and floorboards aren't rusted, and to make sure it actually runs.
Looks like it is on the topside of the dollar....but it runs.....I'd do it I believe(pending rust issues)!!:hurray:

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only rust on the car is inbetween the dash and the cowl. From what I hear that is fairly common for those cars though. I saw in one of the restoration catalogs that a replacement dash is $80 +shipping.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I fix that one rust spot, clean the interior real good, and put a real paint job on it instead of primer. And overall just clean the car up real good. What could I expect to sell the car for?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I fix that one rust spot, clean the interior real good, and put a real paint job on it instead of primer. And overall just clean the car up real good. What could I expect to sell the car for?
I don't know about your area, but I almost bought one here that only needed paint for $3,000

...but then I found the Chevelle... :hurray:

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Why are you looking to flip it for?

One day you're complaining about "how everything is out of your price range" and "how you wished you could afford classic iron"....

Now you're wanting to join the masses and "sell at top dollar"....

Unless this car is a rusted out bondoed up piece of **** I'd just go ahead and grab it and hold onto it for myself. Otherwise you might kick yourself later on for not holding onto it.

Used to have a 1971 Nova. Paid $4000. It was the 350/4 speed and manual drums all the way around, black bench and vinyl floor. Of course under the nicely painted red was some bondo and it wasn't exactly the best job either. Had to sell the car a month later for financial reasons for $3500.

Now looking back I wished I hadn't of sold it.

Unless you're dead set hell bent for a Chevelle I'd go ahead and get the Nova and run with it. It might be your last chance to buy a cheap classic car. Yeah Novas are already increasing in value now that most of the hulks have ended up as race/drag cars.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I guess I could have re-phrased what I said about stuff being expensive here. I never meant sell at top dollar I just don't want to lose money on it. And I didn't say everything was out of my price range I was just saying the prices of rolling shells for a few grand was too expensive. Im not saying that every car should be under a grand if its all there I am just simply saying most of the prices I see seem to be too much.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even so what is wrong with selling the car for what someone is willing to pay for it. :) But that still doesn't answer my question what could I expect to sell it for with new paint and cleaned up?

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Cleaned up with a nice paint job you might get $4000 for it. How much you'll have to put in to get that back out is hard to say.

It's also hard to say because we don't know how much rot/rust it has, what kind of shape is the wiring in? Alot of details are being left out here, but if body work is going to be involved, that right there is $$$$$ so be prepared for that.

If you want to sell it for a profit, then do so. Just don't complain when you can't buy your dream car because the guy that's selling it is doing the same thing....selling at profit. Afterall it's not a hobby anymore. It's financial gain.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was glad to see that Im not alone on the issue of why peoplejust want to make a profit. I dont think its wrong to earn a profit on an investment, by god,thats american, but Im sick and tired of some people in our hobby just to make outrageous dollars on the pretext of "collectibles status". Im in this from 1963 and have had many cars. I never had bought a car for anything but fun

1 - 20 of 22 Posts