Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know someone who rebuilds these shifters. Mine is loose and sloppy and constantly getting stuck in reverse and first. I dont know if there is someone that rebuilds these to a somewhat functioning shifter. I know most people go hurst but thats not an option on this car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
NickeyChevelle might not be too far off.....they used to do it. There was place in Pennsylvania that you took the shifter and they rebuilt it right on the spot. Of course this was about 35 years ago. Ok, ok so it was a long time ago, but I would contact them, you might be surprised.

·
Premium Member
15,844 Posts
Check with Jody and Paul ( 5 speeds) . Chris at Long shifters offered to rebuild my Hurst box when he told me a Long H1000 wouldnt fit my console. ( yeah, just watch because once you go Long, nothing is good! ).

And in the midst of that issue, I also found a rebuilder online, but I cant remember who and had no info on them.

And PS, oem shifters are loose and trashy, esp the ones bolted to the crossmember. Weak link for sure. So don't expect much even if its 100%. That weak link put Hurst permanently in the muscle performance space.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I kinda hoped there was a solid name in the game that dealt with the rebuild and offered a marginal improvement over stock for us purest guys.

·
Premium Member
15,844 Posts
Ah there ya go, maybe Freddie can do this work.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can purchase service parts for factory shifters. Typically the reverse lockout pin which attaches to your pull up wears and allows the shifter to pull on first and reverse. Common problem. If you do not have the pullup then the shifter is just worn.

Does anyone know someone who rebuilds these shifters. Mine is loose and sloppy and constantly getting stuck in reverse and first. I dont know if there is someone that rebuilds these to a somewhat functioning shifter. I know most people go hurst but thats not an option on this car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts