Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very interesting car, I currently own a 69SS and a 71SS, now i have been bit by this 1970 Malibu Sports Coupe, originally 350/4spd car, will need a good bit of work, car is just a roller, console, shifter and clutch pedal still their, 10 bolt posi,
complete interior, body needs work, floors will also need repairing, seller asking 7k, is it worth it, TIA

·
Registered
352 Posts
No I would not buy it, but then again I'm not a mechanic. I don't have the knowledge, the tools or the space to work on a car like that. I know a lot of guys that can bring a car like that back to pristine condition and I salute them.

Reactions: Mrmann

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless its a running and drivable car, I think 7K is way too much.

For that kind of money it would have to have several puzzle pieces to interest me.

The body would need to be seriously solid, even though you say it needs floor work.

Also, for me, it would have to be a numbers matching car WITH a build sheet.

Someone will probably pay it regardless, and then there is the fact that real original Malibus are going to be unicorns one day.
My opinion.
It looks like it needs a quarter too.

$3500 if it runs, and thats tops.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Id be in for $4K max. Offer $3500 for a roller no eng/trans

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Unless its a running and drivable car, I think 7K is way too much.

For that kind of money it would have to have several puzzle pieces to interest me.

The body would need to be seriously solid, even though you say it needs floor work.

Also, for me, it would have to be a numbers matching car WITH a build sheet.

Someone will probably pay it regardless, and then there is the fact that real original Malibus are going to be unicorns one day.
My opinion.
It looks like it needs a quarter too.

$3500 if it runs, and thats tops.
For a numbers matching, driving 70, Malibu or not, would be in the 17 - 25 range. You'll never see that combo for 7.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
bucket seat, console, 4 speed 1970? it would be gone in a day aroubd here depending on how badly it was rusted.
if i had the extra $$$, ive got the extra parts. buy it, drop a 454 and muncie back in it, exhaust, new battery and be driving the thing in a weekend. This type of project is where you make your money back on the extra parts laying around you cant sell for any money. the old 250 dollar 454, used 300 dollar muncie, and 30 dollar holley carbs etc. get the car for say $6000 drop all the used parts you have stashed and now you have a running big block 4 speed chevelle to have fun with. wait for the guy that wants a restoration project buy it from you for a profit. in the mean time drive it as is. jim

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm seeing some of you guys saying 3500-4k, well down south, I've seen worse condition 70 chevelle rollers go from 8-10k, I guess it just depends on what part of the country your in, thanks for all feedback

·
Premium Member
11,813 Posts
It looks like quite the project and appears to have been sitting most likely outdoors for a while. Looks like the primer is fresh. Why take the trouble to spray fresh primer on something only to sell it? I don’t think I would pay the asking price but then I think that about most project cars. Especially 70s. Lots of work, time and money. Personally I’d start out with one in better condition.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like quite the project and appears to have been sitting most likely outdoors for a while. Looks like the primer is fresh. Why take the trouble to spray fresh primer on something only to sell it? I don’t think I would pay the asking price but then I think that about most project cars. Especially 70s. Lots of work, time and money. Personally I’d start out with one in better condition.
Yes, fresh primer I was thinking the same thing, is he trying to hide something, rust is obvious regardless

·
Registered
820 Posts
Any way you can crawl under it and inspect the frame? If so and it's solid, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
a pic of a car that been sitting outdoors for years with all the surface rust makes it really look bad. 7 cans of krylon makes 100% difference to get more people to come look. im a glutton for picking up these projects. since about 2004 I've drug home 66 and 72 el camino rollers, sold the 66, got the 72 sold as a driving project. then dragged home my 70 chevelle carcass which I still drive. then the 71 el camino carcass that drove away 454 th350 12 bolt, buckets console etc. 68 el camino, 67 el camino, 66 el camino, 70 el camino. 64 el camino, 66 chevelle (still have it) 71 4 door, 66 4 door. I guess I see past the ugly paint, gutted interior etc. jim

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a pic of a car that been sitting outdoors for years with all the surface rust makes it really look bad. 7 cans of krylon makes 100% difference to get more people to come look. im a glutton for picking up these projects. since about 2004 I've drug home 66 and 72 el camino rollers, sold the 66, got the 72 sold as a driving project. then dragged home my 70 chevelle carcass which I still drive. then the 71 el camino carcass that drove away 454 th350 12 bolt, buckets console etc. 68 el camino, 67 el camino, 66 el camino, 70 el camino. 64 el camino, 66 chevelle (still have it) 71 4 door, 66 4 door. I guess I see past the ugly paint, gutted interior etc. jim
You seem to have plenty experience, so would you buy it??

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
in a heartbeat! but I've got a great 396 with all the brackets, pulleys, pumps, 621 bell housing, clutch kit, m20 with shifter, 3.31 12 bolt, headers, radiator, disc brakes, driveshaft.
out of pocket would be a exhaust kit, battery, belts hoses and fluids. And a back window. jim

Reactions: Mrmann and SFD

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
915 Posts
Like Jim Mac said - For two grand, make a beater-sleeper.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Like Jim Mac said - For two grand, make a beater-sleeper.
The guy wants $7K not 2K. o_O
He wants $7K you offer $5K and you meet halfway.The biggest question is just WHERE was this sitting outside for a couple of years.If it was sitting outside in Pa then I'm out but there are some states that aren't as hard on a car as up here in the northeast. Or did he use a car cover that makes a difference too.And a tarp is worse than leaving it fully uncovered.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
This car can take around $25k +/- to make a decent driver if your starting without a parts stash and doing the work yourself. I like projects but $7k is a bit high. I'd be all over it for $3-4k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts