Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, and thanks for letting me join the group! I recently discovered and bought the Chevelle my Grandpa bought new at a dealership he worked at. My uncle then got it and hot rodded it up (picture). I'm getting it road worthy and have a question:

Did 1970 Malibu's come with a cowl hood? It's the non-activated version but my Uncle insists that it was on the car since new. I only ask because all the pictures I've seen of an original 70 Malibu - none have the cowl hood, only the flat hoods. The smudge on the hood in the picture was Pontiac 350 emblems he put on.

Thanks in advance!

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I thought only the SS came with the domed or cowl induction hood. After finding this, I just became aware of the domed hood being a factory hood. I thought it was only aftermarket

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Malibu's all came with a flat hood. As for the "SS" hoods, the one with the flapper door was only available on SS's and the one without the flapper door came on SS's as well as Heavy Chevy's.
Claude.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,005 Posts
Wasnt Functional and Non Functional hoods an option only on SS's? Malibus got flat, Heavys got Non Functional correct

·
Premium Member
17,178 Posts
Wasnt Functional and Non Functional hoods an option only on SS's? Malibus got flat, Heavys got Non Functional correct
Technically speaking, there is no such thing as functional and non functional. Not really sure where or why that term has been coined and repeated.
the standard SS (domed) hood was on all SS cars unless RPO ZL2 (special ducted hood) was ordered.
All non SS cars received the standard flat hood. I can’t speak for the 71-72 heavy Chevy cars since I never really researched them.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
easy way to check would be to look underneath and see if the cowl induction part was added to the original flat hood OR if the hood was added later on and is one piece.
Look into the rear of the induction opening and see if you can see the old hood lines?
Look where the insulation may go in the triangles and look for paint differences and or welds removal of seam sealer.
He may have put it on afterwards... Is the car the same colour now or was it re painted after that photo was taken?
Hoping it was a clean stock style hood for your sake.
But if it wasn't and isn't broke and you like what it looks like with it...why not keep it?
Just my 3.2 cents worth

Casey

Reactions: Leadhead

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the answers! Yes, my Grandpa was the body shop Manager at the dealership. To be totally accurate, a pilot from the nearby airbase bought it then brought it back a month later when he got posted elsewhere. Good idea to take a look under the back seat - never thought of that, although the seats are crushed velvet (Oh, the 70's) so I'm not optimistic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
easy way to check would be to look underneath and see if the cowl induction part was added to the original flat hood OR if the hood was added later on and is one piece.
Look into the rear of the induction opening and see if you can see the old hood lines?
Look where the insulation may go in the triangles and look for paint differences and or welds removal of seam sealer.
He may have put it on afterwards... Is the car the same colour now or was it re painted after that photo was taken?
Hoping it was a clean stock style hood for your sake.
But if it wasn't and isn't broke and you like what it looks like with it...why not keep it?
Just my 3.2 cents worth

Casey
It looks exactly like the old photo. I won't change a thing. it will look like a 70's car again. Trying to find old Daisy rims but they aren't easy to find.

This is how I found it 25 years later after a couple years trying to find it. The owner hadn't moved it one inch in 15 years. Was slowly turning it into an SS.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Go to this site and download the 1970 Chevelle info... It'll have everything you will want to know about the 1970 Chevelle as they could be ordered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go to this site and download the 1970 Chevelle info... It'll have everything you will want to know about the 1970 Chevelle as they could be ordered.
Great resource! Thanks!

If the hood was changed, it must have been very early in it's lifetime.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
It looks exactly like the old photo. I won't change a thing. it will look like a 70's car again. Trying to find old Daisy rims but they aren't easy to find.

This is how I found it 25 years later after a couple years trying to find it. The owner hadn't moved it one inch in 15 years. Was slowly turning it into an SS.
American Racing Wheels VN402 or VN420

Reactions: squalie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to update for all you data collectors out there - it is NOT the original hood. Apparently the original hood had the fan blade go through it and was replaced. Mystery solved.

The car is out of the shop and mostly cleaned up. I'll keep picking away at it but it still has the original engine. 250hp 2bbl.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yeah not too hard to to remove the two screws and change out those arm rest covers...
I would too. OR even recover in a red matching leather or vinyl... velvet is too 1975!

Reactions: 72soft-top
1 - 20 of 24 Posts