Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at selling an 70 ls6 convert (no paperwork, but history), has 4.10 12 bolt, no a/c, no motor, no trans, no interior, no glass, just a roller with good body panels, floors, trunk, and convertible top frame, and no hood. Would probably need a donor car to get some glass and other misc parts. Throw me some numbers, thx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture a 70 convertible, body on rolling frame. Has trunk lid, convertible top frame only ( no material or window), no interior, no drive train. Has 12 bolt posi original with 4.10's, no hood. Overall body good shape. If you spent 10 hours of body work, you could prep for paint, and put car together. It's not that it's in bad shape, just a lot missing when car was taking apart.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
I'm looking at selling an 70 ls6 convert (no paperwork, but history), has 4.10 12 bolt, no a/c, no motor, no trans, no interior, no glass, just a roller with good body panels, floors, trunk, and convertible top frame, and no hood. Would probably need a donor car to get some glass and other misc parts. Throw me some numbers, thx
:confused:

If it aint got the original engine, aint got the orig Trans and no paper.. why on earth would it be worth anything more then any other 70 convert project.? why even use the language LS-6 Convert. ? it's no longer an LS-6.. there's no engine :noway:

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
With no build sheet it will be hard to prove anything. What is the build date of the car from the cowl tag? How many fuel lines? Where was the car built? Original front door trim panels still on the car? What colors?

Mike- If there turns out to be a build sheet, it's STILL an LS6 if the sheet says it is...

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
What's the build date on the cowl tag? That would be the number and letter on the bottom left?
Beat ya to the punch, Mike! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
With no build sheet it will be hard to prove anything. What is the build date of the car from the cowl tag? How many fuel lines? Where was the car built? Original front door trim panels still on the car? What colors?

Mike- If there turns out to be a build sheet, it's STILL an LS6 if the sheet says it is...
Well David.....no offense my friend, but you wouldn't be the first to disagree with my thought process on that subject.. and no need to argue anyone's point.. but I just feel.. if the THING that makes something RARE is no longer there.. it aint RARE any longer... and just because a piece of paper tells me it USED TO BE.. it no longer IS!

It's no different in my opinion of having a 66 SS L-78 car.. if the L-78 engine is gone.. guess what.. it's just another 66 SS.. they made lots of them.. even with paperwork.. the thing that makes it rare is the engine.. It's what I call a USED to BE car and that doesn't get my wallet open any further. :D

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Mike, you're right to a certain extent. If the car can be proven to be an LS6 with a build sheet, the value will soar due to the fact that someone somewhere will say...I gotta have that.
Even though, at todays prices for parts it would cost a boatload of cash to do the car right, and you still have a NOM car, BUT... more than likely it would be more than one person after the car. This is how you start a bidding war, and the price skyrockets. Agree, my friend?? :D

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I hate to say it, but "Used to be" cars do in fact bring more money.

Not my money......:noway: But they do bring more.

Why is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Mike,

So your saying a car with all original drivetrain without a buildsheet is worth more then a car with a buildsheet but no original drivetrain?

Sean

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
All you guys are correct! There's an A$$ for every seat. Just build one and someone will buy into it. I mean buy it. ;)

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Mike,

So your saying a car with all original drivetrain without a buildsheet is worth more then a car with a buildsheet but no original drivetrain?

Sean
From my opinion, Absolutely.

Regardless of buildsheet, one has the original motor, and one does not.

A buildsheet helps authenticate an original car, all it does for a non original car is tell a story of what it used to be.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Mike,

Sean

Problem is nowadays, it's nearly impossible to determine if the engine is indeed the original, as the restampers are pretty good at making them look like original engines.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Cube.... NAME??

The question you posed was:

I answered that with Yes, it is a No brainer... Now the next part of your question, that is an entirely different subject which is not whether a car without it's orig. drivetrain but with docs. is worth more than an car with it's Orig. drivetrain and no docs....

The Topic of how do you know it's orig. drivetrain.. well.. there are never any guarantees.. but this subject is not limited to 70 Chevelles. some model years are easier to show originality then others. For instance.. 66 and 67 SS cars have the engine DECK stamped with the serial number of the car.. so it is a bit easier to show Originality.. that's not to say that, as was mentioned.. restamps are not all over the place.. but in my humble opinion.. The bad guys are just NOT good enough yet that they get it Perfect.. esp. in 66 and 67 where the individual plants have their own particulars about fonts size and style.. I have been hired to look at many 66 and 67's and to be honest, I have found many Restamps and saved many guys from spending Big Money.. and they are happy for having done their Buyer Beware homework....... too the casual observer.. they look really good.. but like anything else.. a trained eye and good research helps flush out the fakes/restamps.. and as John said.. this is not limited to Deck stamps.. Documentation is also Faked every day.. but I still believe.. the bad guys don't always do their homework as well as they should and we as consumers must do our Homework even better and our due dilligence or set ourselves up for paying too much for a Fake.. it is always Buyer Beware!!

So how do you know it's Original drivetrain?? You don't always Know.. but some homework and patience definitely helps.. especially on the RARE cars... but if the car does not not have it's Original Drivetrain.. that is, as I said.. a NO BRAINER!! No homework required... it's just another 66 or 67 or 70 or 68 or whatever.. in my books.. they made plenty! ;)

Mike Crown

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
It is amazing to me how something can remain the same when the things that made it that way are gone. Nowhere but with a car can an illusion command a steep price.

A millionaire stripped of his wealth is no longer one even if he can produce bank statements 30 years old saying he was at one time.

The president of a company that is stripped of his position is no longer the president once his title is taken away.

The president of this country is no longer the president once his term is up. He is now the "former" president. He is still called that but he ain't no more.

A LS-6 , L-78 , SS 396 , L-79, etc. is no more without the correct components that made it one. It is not much more than the Sport Coupe it entered the assembly line. Now I will agree that a documented body that has been built with all the correct components that made it a certain type car can be represented as a correct, original no correct yes. Without all the pieces you have no puzzle.

I still yearn for the day that the most important thing about a car is the quality of the build. As we procede thru life we realize that P T Barnhum had it right all along.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.