Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a veritable cornucopia of Chevelle knowledge and experience here at Team Chevelle. I ask you, fellow team members, to add any input you can to these two questions:
Does anyone currently have, or know the whereabouts of, a 1970 L89 (hi-perf aluminum heads) factory produced and documented Chevelle (you know, 1 of the 18)?
If so, are any of them (documented) LS6 cars? (I know the textbook answer is they weren't.)

[This message has been edited by Alan F (edited 02-03-2000).]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'm sure all of the L89 cars were 396's but who knows, there could be an oddball out there. If there is, don't hold your breath for documentation. All is possible, I've seen the General build some unique cars.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Back when I was living in Milwaukee, I read Hemmings religiously since there was a shortage of good project material within the local area. I remember seeing a 1970 L89 in Hemmings, probably in 1992 or 1992, that was for sale relatively cheap (<10000). I haven't seen any with documentation. Hey, what about that L89 LS6 that Chevy Craft "found"? You know, the one with the "factory light weight hood"--check the build sheet!! BTW...This is a joke...

·
Premium Member
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
70L34, funny you should mention that. In a thread on another forum that I visit, reference to the existence of a factory produced 1970 L89/LS6 Chevelle was the source of some disagreement. Someone remembers seeing an article featuring one in one of the car magazines a couple of years ago. I, for one, didn't see it.

The scarcity of these is leading me to believe that they are more desirable than either the Z16 or LS6 that I lust for. I may seriously look for one to buy.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Chevy Craft '70 LS6/L89 convertible chevelle was the topic of a thread in "Bench Racing" Reggie Jackson bought the car at the recent Barrett-Jackson auction for ~ $45,000. As opposed to a documented LS-6 convertible that sold at the same auction for $106,000. The general consensus is the car is a fake with a doctored buildsheet. Chevy Craft was well known for restamping blocks and "finding" ultra rare cars. They used to advertise in HMN offering to "document" cars in cases where the owner had "misplaced" the original P-O-P's, buildsheets, trim tags, etc. Tonawanda engine production records do not even show that a service replacement L-89/LS6 engine was produced, let alone one installed in a production car. 28 L-89 396 engines are recorded to have been produced of which 18 may have been installed in "A" body cars. I have not heard of a documented one surfacing, but who knows??

[This message has been edited by Black LS-6 (edited 02-04-2000).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.