Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I looked at a 1970 L-34 the other day, owner claims matching numbers however there was no vin on the front of the block by the passenger side where I usaully find it. The owner said it was in the back. I am going to look at the car again, I was wondering if anyone can tell me the exact location of the vin in the back and the best way to see it.

Thks

Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rich, There should be a stamp on the front passenger deck of the block. It is also possible that it is stamped (additionally) on the block, on the drivers side, rear transmission mounting flange. The code should include part of the VIN. You may want to find a book called "Chevrolet by the numbers" This will guide you through the all aspects of matching numbers, including cast dates, suffix codes, and their locations.

If number matching is what your paying for, then be sure the fellow is on the level before you make the investment. If you need help, let me know.

TH

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toms,

Thanks for the info. I do remember reading in one of my Chevele resto books that in early 70 the vin was sometimes stamped in the back i/o the front. Unfortunately I cannot locate the book. I am not sure if it was on the back of the block where the oil filter is. Any clue if this is the case? Will I be able to see it with a mirror?

Of course if I cannot locate the vin I probaly will not buy the car unless he drops the price considerably.

Thks

Rich

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I do remember reading in one of my Chevele resto books that in early 70 the vin was sometimes stamped in the back i/o the front. Unfortunately I cannot locate the book. I am not sure if it was on the back of the block where the oil filter is. Any clue if this is the case? Will I be able to see it with a mirror?

Of course if I cannot locate the vin I probaly will not buy the car unless he drops the price considerably.

Thks

Rich

·
Registered
55 Posts
richr,
Would this 1970 L-34 happen to be a maroon with white stripes SS? I looked at one over the weekend that claimed the same fame but the vin numbers were missing and the numbers that were there looked like a 2yr old stamped them. The car needed too much (if not the original motor) work for the $9500 price tag.
Dave.

·
Super Moderator
12,690 Posts
Rich,
It is possible that the block was decked at one time or another, cutting off the numbers. I know there is some type of mild acid that can be applied to the surface to "bring back" the numbers, but I have never seen it in use. I would find the casting date on the block and see if it corresponds with the build date of the car. There may be numbers elsewhere on the motor, but I have never seen them.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an original motor LS5 that has the VIN# stamped by the oil filter. Even if the one you are looking at has the VIN by the oil filter, the assembly date and code for the motor should still be on the top pad in front. My Chevelle was built at Van Nuys and it would be interesting to me to find out where other Van Nuys cars were stamped. If you go see it again and it does have the VIN by the oil filter, and you think of it, let me know where the car was built. By the way, to see the VIN by the filter you'll have to jack up the car, get a good flashlight and take a rag to clean the area which is located on a vertical section of block above and to the rear of the oil filter. The area is a rough cast which may make the numbers very hard to read.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Like Gregg, I had a 69SS that had the VIN stamped above the oil filter. The other code was on the pad.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I restored my '70 SS this past winter I was surprised to find I also had a VIN# stamped upside down on the firewall underneath the cover to the heater core. Of course, that doesn't help you to validate the motor but I had never heard of the VIN# being there, before.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is possible that the motor was replaced at one time by the dealer. The VIN would not be present on a replacement motor. I think otherwise, a VIN would be on the motor, but not the correct one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Could this block have been decked? I have a '65 (cast date) 327 block that I pulled out of my '67 Elcamino (Sept '66)and it hasn't got any vin #'s either. None, nodda, nill, zip!!! however the lifter valley has been polished smooth & painted, the two 3/4" oil return holes in the front of the block have been elongated and return holes above the cam were chamfered. The crank was polished oil holes chamfered. 030 raised pistons (10:1?) I think the block was decked, but that seems like a lot of material to take off??? Plus the intake bolted up with no problems.

------------------
"Like-em-All" "Help-em-All"
"Race-em-All" "Lose-a-Lot"
"Always faster bench racing"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most Chevy motors that have been decked are easily detectable. The factory finished their block surfaces in a straight across pattern that you can see on the broach surface where the numbers are. Most decking machines will leave a circular pattern, which is also detectable. I have seen motors where the owners claimed "original" and found swirl marks on the broach and perfectly stamped numbers. That is a re-stamped block and any claim of originality is out the window. The more sophisticated stampers these days will hand-file the pad before stamping or have found the correct machine for decking.

------------------
Gregg
Gold #99
70 SS Convt. / 70 SS LS5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.