Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is not a Pontiac or a GTO forum, but I have been a part of this community going on 20 years and I consider it one of my regular internet destinations. The folks here never judged me for ruining a Chevrolet engine by putting it in a Pontiac, unlike the Pontiac forum, where they basically called my GTO a Chevelle...LOL

Everything I do is directly applicable to any Chevelle, so I feel the content is relevant and I hope y'all enjoy the next chapter of my GTO update. Version 2.0 can be found here: 1970 GTO Version 2.0

The first shipment of parts, for my GTO update, have arrived today. I am pretty excited.

I don't want to spoil things, but it is going to be a fairly extensive update.

I am just collecting parts, and will post more as they come in.

Stay tuned for more...

Andrew

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are going with which LS build??
The car already has a 6.2L (basically LS3) swap that I did back in 2008. The only thing that I am changing with the engine is switching the cam and going to the Holley Terminator X Max ECU.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Looking forward to your posts.

Reactions: andrewb70

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I decided to look at some of the new parts in more detail. This is going to turn into the Holley Twelve Days of Christmas.

I really like the red valve covers. They are actually more red than the pictures show and I think they will match the color of the car fairly closely. I am not a fan of having everything on the engine be color matched. I think it looks more interesting to detail the engine in such a way that the mechanical functionality is highlighted by the overall design.

The valve covers add a little extra height which will make the engine look a little bigger in the huge engine bay. They also allow the coils to be mounted directly to the valve covers, which eliminates the extra coil mounting brackets.

Andrew

Reactions: tbanks64

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Twelve Days of Holley Christmas continues....

This is the Holley 302-3 pan. It has the extra low clearance in the front so that when being installed in a GM A-body the inner tie rods clear the pan. The AutoKraft pan that I used on my LS swap back in 2008 is much thicker in the front and the inner tie rods hit when at full turn. This isn't generally a problem, but it is certainly annoying.

The 302-3 also has the extra clearance for a 4" stroke crank, as well as provisions on both sides for turbo oil drain back. Very cleaver design and beautifully cast and machined.

Andrew

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turbo drain back on both sides is a nice feature:)
bonus...
Yes, for sure, although there is no plan to add turbos at this time. It's not for a lack of desire, but it would make it very hard to keep the functional shaker scoop. I also want to keep this update fairly simple...although it is already growing in scope!

Beautiful GTO
Thank you!

Andrew

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the third day of Christmas my true love brought to me...

This is the Terminator X Max system that will replace the GMPP ECU and harness kit. Given that my business now is tuning Holley EFI systems, it makes sense that I run what I preach.

The Terminator X Max will allow me to retain the DBW and also allow me to implement things like PWM fan control, and any other feature that I want to implement.

I also plan to take my time with the wiring. The Holley harness is ok, but some of the more visible parts are not up to a super clean look. The plan is to make my own injector and coil harness. Making those sub harnesses more like a motorsport harness and fully heat shrinking and labeling them. Some of the sensor branches of the harness may also get the same heat shrink covering. I also plan to integrate the alternator L and S terminals into the main harness.

More to come!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Andrew, I always liked your GTO and remembered when you pulled the BBC for the LS. Plus when I read someone complaining about pinion angle vibration I also recall your Cougar and the CV driveshaft. I'm very interested in this too. Make sure to supply plenty of photos and detailed wiring diagram. I too am going with the Terminator X Max system on my 66 Chevelle. With wiring, I don't mind doing it, just kind of unsure where to run them for best functionality. My fear is running wires all over for fan, fuel pump relay, binary/trinary switch for A/C, etc. its a lot to comprehend and there's no one right way I imagine but there definitely is a wrong way.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andrew, I always liked your GTO and remembered when you pulled the BBC for the LS. Plus when I read someone complaining about pinion angle vibration I also recall your Cougar and the CV driveshaft. I'm very interested in this too. Make sure to supply plenty of photos and detailed wiring diagram. I too am going with the Terminator X Max system on my 66 Chevelle. With wiring, I don't mind doing it, just kind of unsure where to run them for best functionality. My fear is running wires all over for fan, fuel pump relay, binary/trinary switch for A/C, etc. its a lot to comprehend and there's no one right way I imagine but there definitely is a wrong way.
Thank you Sir! Both the GTO and the Cougar have the CV driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. The GTO has a single CV at the transmission, while the Cougar uses a dual CV, with one at the trans and one at the rear. It really is the best solution for fixing the driveline issues that A-bodies experience when lowering the rear ride height. This can be made worse by how the engine placement is done when doing a LS swap (see my next post).

There are some best practices that can be followed with wiring. The trick is to have all of the components mounted in their locations and think of wiring like plumbing. It's a matter of connecting the dots in the most efficient way. I plan to do some of the harness modifications on the engine and other things will have to be done after the engine is installed back into the car.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Continuing our Christmas theme...On the fourth day of Christmas....LOL

Holley really knocked it out of the park with these Hooker Blackheart, stainless swap headers. These are the full length headers for the GM A-bodies with 1 7/8" primaries. The welds are beautiful, with the tubes fully welded to the inside of the head flange and ground smooth. The tubes are also partially welded on the outside of the head flange for added strength. I'll probably hit these with some acetone and a Scotchbrite pad for a cleaner, slightly brushed look.

My buddy Todd, was the man behind engineering the swap components for Holley and he did an outstanding job. All of the swap components are engineered to work together in order to place the engine as low as possible in the front crossmember. This optimizes the driveline angles, which are a big concern when doing a LS swap on the A-bodies, especially with lowered ride height.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the fifth day of Christmas, I got jewelry...

The Holley fuel rails are super slick. They use a bright dip anodizing process that really makes the rails and the fittings shine.

The AN-6 to rail adapters use an o-ring to seal against the rails. The kit also includes adapter brackets that can be used both on the Gen 3 and Gen 4 intake manifolds and can accommodate various injector heights.

Andrew

Reactions: Jeff65SS

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the sixth day of Christmas I got fire. I've never used the ceramic boot plug wire, but they seemed like a great addition. The 45° boots should keep the wires away from the header tubes. Fun fact, it seems that David Freiburger was the first to suggest ceramic boot plug wires.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the seventh day of Christmas, we got Johnny.

Johnny was brought to the KC Pet Project as a stray. He is a Great Dane Lab mix and is estimated to be about 11 months old. He is currently 50 pounds, but should be about 70 pounds. We are currently fostering him, but that may play out a different way.

Merry Christmas Eve day Everyone!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
If he is going to be on your project blog he needs to have a Holley collar. LOL. You must have been a very good boy for Santa to be so generous. Am watching your project with interest. Happy Holidays.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts