Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info on the small flow valve that is in the vacuum line from the actuator pod on the underside of the hood to the manifold. What does this valve do? I bought the C.I. hood for my malibu and now that I'm getting the parts to make it work, I can't seem to find this valve. It appears that this part has been discontinued and none of the parts houses have it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This is a check valve, I think it may be there to dampen the movement of the hood flapper, so that it does not move with a very small change in engine vacuum. And yes they are discontinued. The supplier stopped making them. If you cant find any from the chevelle suppliers try some of the camaro suppliers. I believe they used the same valve. Mat

------------------

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
The outside door of a cowl hood is for show only. A gimmick. The way it is supposed to work, is when you accelerate hard it is supposed to pop open quick and then when manifold vacuum builds back up it closes slowly. That is what this valve allows it to do (vacuum flows rapidly one way and very slowly the other way). The inside door is the real door. It is actuated by a switch at the accelerator pedal. When the pedal contacts this switch the inner door opens to allow fresh cooler air into the air cleaner. The Cowl Induction hood (on a Chevelle) is by far the neatest hood ever put on a car. The 69 Camaro had a cowl hood, but it only has the inner door, not the trick looking outer door that opens when you accelerate.
This valve is disc from Chev and the aftermarket vendor that used to make it has quit also. I talked to Ground Up about this valve just yesterday (and others in the past) and they say there is another possible vendor that will be making it in the near future.
If you should find 2 of them, let me know, I WANT THE OTHER ONE!

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last time I bought one, over two years ago, it cost me $45 for something smaller than my thumb. But, you gotta have it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The check valve is available from OPG.
It's an exact repro of the original
it sells for $39.95

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Nope. They don't have any either.

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found one at the Paddock. It cost me $49.95. Im still waiting for it (back-order) but I think they still have more. Give them a call at 1-800-428-4319. this is the order line.The part # that I orderd is SL39130. The discription in the catalog was right but there was no picture. Like I said I'm still waiting for it. I'll let ya'll know.

Also does anyone know the size of the bolt that connects the hood door to the vacuum actuator pod. It is a small, midgit bolt that I can't seem to match. I talked with my local chevy dealer and they say GM discontinued this part and that they don't know the size. The assembly manual doesn't show a nut for the bolt. Does it require one? Thanks for the info.

[This message has been edited by Walker (edited 03-31-99).]

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
It is a special sholdered screw and it is available repo.

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a name or part/order number from a particular parts shop? Who can I get in touch with and what part do I ask for?

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Start with our sponsor, Ground Up, as well as Original Parts Group. OPG phone is 800-CHEVELLE.

------------------

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Also, you say you found a valve but it is on back order. I would bet good money that is because it is no longer available. I have made numerous calls for the valve and get the same story. The vendor quit, and supposedly another one is going to make it. But when?
If you ever get one, let me know!

------------------

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
DZ, you're right...if something in a parts warehouse is on back order it is because it is not in stock at the advertising warehouse and also at the supply warehouse as well. Chances are the supplying warehouse may not be able to get it from the manufacturer either. You will know if it takes longer than a week or two. I'll put some money down on this one too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I may be WAAAAY late in suggesting this, might have been posted already. But the valve in the cowl induction vacuum line is very similar to the "vacuum delay" check valve used in smog-equipped vacuum advance systems (it is simply spliced into the vacuum advance line). It delays the vacuum signal from reaching the vacuum advance module to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions, or some such thing. Anyways, they are plentiful and cheap at napa, pep boys, autozone, etc etc. If you pay 10 bucks, you payed too much. Look for one that looks most like the original chevelle unit, as there are countless variations depending on who manufactured the little part. Ford, GM and Chrysler all used em. Oh yeah, if you want LONGER vacuum advance, you can simply install this little device in your vacuum advance line BACKWARDS, and it will delay the vacuum unit from RETARDING. Turn it from a smog part to a performance part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.