Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand from reading on different forums there are two styles of gm cowl induction hood. How does one distingush between the two and the same applies to the differences between those two and a reproduction hood. Your comments are appreciated - thank you!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
there is a early and late version,i have both and there is threads on here for you to see,the early frame is different than the later and nos one. i have pics of mine if you need them.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to take you up on your offer to share the pics of the hood. I have done some home work here and believe as the car is a january of 1970 build the car came with the first version which it in turn does match other hoods for pictures I found. Although I would like to prove or disprove that the first version is not like the reproduction hoods or if what is on the car is gm or repo. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,475 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Levon,
I viewed two of the pics last night which showed up in the link you provided. The link sent has a reproduction hood pic, so it proves the car has a GM early version hood. It puts the mind to rest and proves what the prior owner stated about original panels! I doubted that when I could not get the hood to line up properly, until I replaced the hood hinges - what a big difference! Now I have a late model gm hood I will need to store or sell!

Now to continue the post while it is getting some attention - can anyone help with the flapper door alignment? When the engine is on the flapper is not flat with the hood, it gets sucked down at the front of the flapper (side closest to the front of car). also when engine is off there seems to be a little bit of play in the flapper, almost like it needs a bushing to give it support. It wont ratle in the wind, but if you push up and down it moves about 3/16". all hardware seems tight....

·
Super Moderator
9,475 Posts
Hi Gregg. Check to see if there are shims on the diapram attachment to the hood. Sometimes there are and these adjust the open/closed points. Alos there is a "stop" on one side of the diaphram. It controls the closed point. Often they have fallen off. It is on one side of the 2 mounting studs.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Levon, there are no shims on the mounting of the diaphram. Was not able to find a stop either. If there is any diagram or picture that is avialable it would be great as an aid to what you are mentioning. I too have an LS5. Purchased late last year and in the process of making numerous repairs as the prior owner may not have been to familiar with the mechanicals - it has come a lang way and by May should be in good shape. Any additional recomendations on an exhaust system? was thinking Gardner??

·
Super Moderator
9,475 Posts
Hi Gregg. The shims would be on the diaphragm mount where it attach's to the hood.

On your diaphragm, on one of the 2 small studs, these should be a piece of rectangular steel about 1/4" wide and 1"long (from memory). It need to be on the side where the arm attachés to the flapper. That is the stop.

If yours is off, then post some pictures and we can discuss more.

On the exhaust it is a preference. Gardner makes a nice original system but it chokes the engine pretty well. Others are louder... Suggest you post this subject separately in the exhaust area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts