Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1970 chevelle, when I come to a light it stalls sometimes, Is there a part that can eliminate that, because it fires right back up, this is my 1st muscle car so any information will help, I know this problem happen to my neighbor car as well, or should change the transmission, I am taking it to a mechanic this week

thank you

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Need more info. Is it while you are stopping and stalls just when you come to a stop? For example, if you go to an empty road and hit the brakes hard does the car stall? This would suggest the float level may need adjusted with the carb.

Or is this an issue after you stop and are already sitting still? If the car starts back up and idles I can't see what issue your Trans would have to do with it. You may be thinking you cam stalls at too low of a speed and is dragging the motor down in gear. However, if that was the case it should be a constant issue any time you are idling in gear.

My gut feeling is that the car is just out of tune and is probably not running as it should. Idle may be too low or air/fuel off.

Try and post back with more details and I am sure more people on here would be willing to offer assistance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Fleming23, I literally bought the car yesterday I drove it home. There was no problem on the freeway like 70 miles, but when I got into town there was about 4 or 5 times it stalled at a light or a stop sign, I know the car has been sitting over 11 months and it hasn't really been driven, it may be out of tune like you said, thanks for your info, ill post a pic of the motor and car, none the less I am so glad I got a Chevelle.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
easy fix, just crack the idle up a bit. jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
check for the presence of an idle solenoid on the carb or as other member wrote turn idle screw up a bit.
ronvb

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
sour gas unless you drained/refilled with fresh before your trip. In need of a good tune up. Good luck with your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts