Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,822 Posts
Sorry for your loss of your dad, and I'm happy you have an interest in getting his classic car going. Your memories of your dad will be strengthened over time when you enjoy his old Chevelle.

Sitting for 15 years is never a good thing for a car, but that doesn't ruin it either. It is going to take some elbow grease and some money to get her going again, but that car looks like it will be worth it. You don't say how good your mechanical aptitude is - but you will enjoy learning as you go! I would try to get it running first off and work from there.

I would start by getting all the old gas out of the system as you could possibly do more harm than good by trying to run it on that old, varnished gas. If it hasn't been cranked over after 15 years, there is probably nothing left in the carburetor, so drop the gas tank, empty it, then flush some new gas thru it, then reinstall. Then it will take some cranking to get the new fuel up to fill the carburetor, so be patient.

You'll need to be weary of fluid leaks from old hoses. This means gas leaks, antifreeze leaks, brake line leaks, automatic tranny lines, and so on. If you do get it running again, after that you can concentrate on what it will take to make it a safe car to drive.

Your car has SS badges on it, but that does not mean it came from the factory as a SS car. Anybody could have put SS badging on a lesser model Chevelle to make it look like a real SS. There is no easy way to tell on a 70 if it was born that way unless you have documentation matching the cars VIN with the build sheet. Hopefully - maybe - your dad had that documentation. If not - no biggy. You will still enjoy your dad's old classic car, no matter how it was built at the factory.

Welcome to Tean Chevelle and enjoy your new hobby!

Reactions: GriseldaBSF

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,822 Posts
Regardless of what it is I just wanna get it back so my dad could be proud of it. A question I have if you don’t mind is how do I know how much money to put into a car like this?
I don't know who could answer that question right now. The good thing is (unless you plan on making this car your everyday driver - which I don't think you are doing) the car will wait for you until you are able to afford spending money on it. Like we all have said - work on getting it running, then getting it to a point where it is a safe and drivable car. Then enjoy the fun of driving your classic car around town and to cruise nights. As time goes on you will decide what other things you may want to do to your new ride, as finances allow.
At age 25 you have your whole adult life in front of you. To live your life with your dads Chevelle at your side should be quite the unique journey!

Reactions: GriseldaBSF
1 - 2 of 2 Posts