Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome! You now have a pretty badass car.. as well as a new hobby 🙂

This is for sure the right place to get info about these cars.

One thing I just happened to notice right away is, the breather is missing from the passenger side valve cover. Not a big deal (it's a very inexpensive part).. just happened to see it.

I would be careful starting it up for the first time (unless somebody already did). Others will have more experience / knowledge than I do around how necessary this is, but if I were to do it myself, I'd probably change the oil and then prime the oil pump before starting (using a special tool that attaches to a drill and goes down the distributor hole). I would imagine the bearings are probably a little dry by now.

Also, unless you know for sure that it has a roller cam, I would add the zinc additive to your oil. Before.. the 90s?.. oil came with zinc to protect flat tappet cams, but it doesn't have that today.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This.

You can learn as you go. I wouldn't try to treat it like anything close to a daily driver, even in summer (I don't even risk letting mine get rained on, as there are places water can sit and cause rust)..

I'm guessing it actually is a Malibu with an SS grille / hood, as the engine in it is a small block and the emblem says "cowl induction", which doesn't appear to be present. That's not really a big issue in my mind, though. If you look at the Chevelles on the road today, you'd think the SS was the only trim package they had.. but in reality, they were a small minority.

The project can be as fast or slow as you want (or can afford). Circumstances also change as you go through life. At 25, I couldn't conceive of being able to afford an extra car, but now it's no big deal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts