Team Chevelle banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
I will be following this. I already have the El Camino load floor and fuel tank that I plan to install in my 72 wagon project. It will be a while before I actually start the installation, but I will take some photos so you can see what they look like and how the EC fuel tank straps to the underside of the load floor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So does the sedan/coupe tank bolt to the frame rails? It has been VERY long time since I have been under a gas tank on a 70 El Camino so I have no recollection. I’m not opposed to seeing how an Elky load floor would graft into the back of a wagon, but it could be an option for me as well.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
AFAIK all the 68 to 72 coupes and sedans fuel tanks attach to the bodies. But, the 64 to 67 wagon and El Camino fuel tanks attach to frame rails. They have supports, rail to rail, with the tank on top of the supports held down with straps. These are photos of my 1966 El Camino fuel tank. This might work on later wagons if the tool well was replaced by a flat floor.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Not all 68 - 72 A body wagons use the same tank. The 72 Buick (no glass roof) I parted out had a bigger tank with different mounting hardware. I'm not sure it would fit under the Chevelle quarter skin. Buick on the left. Still have both tanks if any more pictures are wanted.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Here are the photos of a 1971 El Camino load floor and the fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
More photos of the plumbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not all 68 - 72 A body wagons use the same tank. The 72 Buick (no glass roof) I parted out had a bigger tank with different mounting hardware. I'm not sure it would fit under the Chevelle quarter skin. Buick on the left. Still have both tanks if any more pictures are wanted.

Thanks for the side-by-side on the two tanks. Just to confirm, the one on the right is from a '72, and that is the same as a '70 or different?

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Tank on the right is 68 72 Chevelle wagon. Actually it is from a 68, the only difference is the filler neck. The style of cap changed in 1971. The other difference is in the sender and pickup, some had a second line. All the tanks to the best of my knowledge had a line on the tank. Not sure if it was a return or a vent on 68-69 but it did connect to the charcoal canister on later years. I used it for a return and added a vent on the tank.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the side-by-side. I know I did purchase another tank from an A body, but not sure which one it was. I just haven't had the time to get out there and start looking around. I think that since my tank needs to be cleaned, and I guess no one boils them out any more, I'm going to have that Renu process done on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Let us know if it fits. The shape is different but close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the side-by-side on the two tanks. Just to confirm, the one on the right is from a '72, and that is the same as a '70 or different?
How do you get the tank out of the car? I need to get mine out .

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Remove the tire, then the guard panel, undo the brackets and lower the tank.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts