Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member. I've searched and read the older threads on this topic. I need a fuel tank for a 1970 Chevelle Wagon (I do not have an old one to repair). Are any being made, any alternative options, and/or does anyone have one available?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Not being produced as far as I know.
You'll need to find one from a donor if possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is a guy in North Carolina (I think) that makes Aluminum ones. You send him the old one and he makes you a new one. I thought about it until he said starting at $1500. BUT its an option.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Start looking for a 68-72- G.M.--" A " body Wagon. I guess this would be your best option.
Bob

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
from what I have seen and done, as Bob said the wagon tanks from 68-72 are all the same, except from my experience, the tanks from "glass roof" wagons (Olds Vista Cruisers and Buick Sport Wagons) are a little different in size and shape. I have not tried a VC tank in my wagon, but it is different enough to see it by eye.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
888 Posts
myself, next year I'm gonna cut out my rusted tool well and put in an El Camino gas tank.
Will mount in with no problems. Filler tube will need slight modification but El Camino tanks and sending units are produced, so easier to maintain.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Had posted this else where in a tank discussion, but if you do use the Elco tank in a 68-72, look at the filler/vent tube assemblies used on Chevy/GMC G-Vans (early 70's-95?) and Chevy Suburbans (73-early 90's). These use a long vertical tube with a bend connected to a horizontal tube that leads to the tank. All connected by short lengths of rubber hose. May be more easily adapted than trying to make from scratch.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'll check that out, thanks.

Had posted this else where in a tank discussion, but if you do use the Elco tank in a 68-72, look at the filler/vent tube assemblies used on Chevy/GMC G-Vans (early 70's-95?) and Chevy Suburbans (73-early 90's). These use a long vertical tube with a bend connected to a horizontal tube that leads to the tank. All connected by short lengths of rubber hose. May be more easily adapted than trying to make from scratch.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Elky tank wouldn't fit on a 3 seat wagon obviously but is a solution on the 6 pass ones.
Really would like to see someplace start producing gas tanks for these cars...wagon popularity is growing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
it makes sense to repop them as the tank would fit 5 years and 4 carlines. Figure out the diff's between the flat-roof tans and the Vista tanks, make them common, and the number grows again.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Elky tank wouldn't fit on a 3 seat wagon obviously but is a solution on the 6 pass ones.
Really would like to see someplace start producing gas tanks for these cars...wagon popularity is growing.
Perhaps a solution, but not an easy one. The gasoline filler doors on the wagon and the pick-em up are in totally different locations. It would take some creative plumbing to modify the Elky filler neck to match up with the wagon filler door and possibly some sheet metal work to accommodate the filler neck modification. Also, fuel line(s) would have to be rerouted along with sending unit wiring. But then, if you are going to go to those lengths out of necessity, I suppose it would even be worth considering eliminating the foot well on a 3 seat wagon to accommodate the Elky tank.

A company by the name of Street Rods By Michael, Inc. claims to carry gas tanks for 64-67 wagons. www.srbymichael.com If they have them, perhaps others carry them as well. I don't know the differences between the earlier tanks and the later tanks but perhaps reworking 64-67 tank to fit in a later model might be easier than trying to make an Elky tank do the job.

Rich

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
If you're going to modify for flat tank why wouldn't you just use license plate location for filler? I was lucky that the tank in my '68 was in excellent shape, but I still cleaned and sealed it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The El Camino tank will be an easy fit. The gas filler tube isn't gonna be that big of an obstacle and the sending unit won't be much of a problem either. El Camino sending unit wired up and routed to current wiring setup. The fuel line will use the same route as El Caminos do as well as the tank mounting exactly in the same location as it would in an El Camino....easy peezy.
The most difficult job will be cutting out my rusted tool well and welding back in a nice flat panel.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Look into getting the rear bed floor from a parted Elco. Then you would have the correct supports and strap mounts for the tank as well as the ribbed bed floor to replace the well area.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So, did anything come from putting an elky tank in? I haven't looked at any other thread to see if this has been accomplished successfully or not, but I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey Bryan, yeah that was me. I haven't gotten around to swapping out my tank yet as I have had other projects going on with the wagon. I do plan on putting an Elco tank in though in the future.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks Mike. Have you done all of the research and know what parts you'll need, or is that still on the list? I also have two ponderences.

1) Leave the stock tank and put an elk tank in there. Now you have hundreds of miles of road cruising without having to get gas.

2) I think this would be interesting to try to integrate into the whole thing: Fill Through Neck.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
DVAP has wagon tanks. I found 2 out of the cars and purchased one of them. At $150 (last year when I purchased) might have been a little high but it was the first ones I had found at any price. Have not pulled my factory tank out yet but it may also be good and if so once the car is done one of them will be for sale. That might be a year or more from now though. I wanted a spare because one needs to be modified for an intank pump for fuel injection. If the first attempt goes bad the extra tank will be needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts