Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I am about to purchase has a 700r4. What would be the cheapest manual transmission to swap into it? Also what would be the total cost I would be looking at?

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Thd cheapest manual transmission would be a Muncie M20 or M21. Reason being is there is an abundance of those transmissions to be had. The cost of swapping could be anywhere from $300.00 to $2K. You would need a pilot bushing, a flywheel, a pressure plate, a clutch, a shifter and linkage, possibly a yoke and drive shaft and a pedal set up. A few years ago I sold a friend of mine everything he needed to swap to a manual transmission except the pedal set up for $800.00. I believe he got the pedal set up from 4 speed conversions. Was a pretty good deal IMO. Theset up has worked great for him.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
I forgot one thing. You will also need a bell housing.
So is this car such a deal that it is worth swapping in a manual trans or would you be better off buying a car that already has a manual transmission? My prices in the above post do not include labor. If you are unable to do the swap yourself then labor would be additional. Also the above prices are for mostly used parts.

Reactions: hydro462

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thd cheapest manual transmission would be a Muncie M20 or M21. Reason being is there is an abundance of those transmissions to be had. The cost of swapping could be anywhere from $300.00 to $2K. You would need a pilot bushing, a flywheel, a pressure plate, a clutch, a shifter and linkage, possibly a yoke and drive shaft and a pedal set up. A few years ago I sold a friend of mine everything he needed to swap to a manual transmission except the pedal set up for $800.00. I believe he got the pedal set up from 4 speed conversions. Was a pretty good deal IMO. Theset up has worked great for him.
I forgot one thing. You will also need a bell housing.
So is this car such a deal that it is worth swapping in a manual trans or would you be better off buying a car that already has a manual transmission? My prices in the above post do not include labor. If you are unable to do the swap yourself then labor would be additional. Also the above prices are for mostly used parts.
i figured the M20 or M21 would be the cheapest. It has no sentimental value but for the same car with a manual is an extra 10K and im already at the upper end of my budget. My eventual plan is to do an T56 Magnun swap. I found a couple Muncies local for 1000-1200.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
I found a couple Muncies local for 1000-1200.
IMO the only Muncie that is worth $1K-$1.2K is one that has had a recent rebuild by a professional manual transmission shop and backed up by receipts that indicate what was done. A typical used Muncie is in the $400.00-$700.00 range. After all we are talking about a 50 year old transmission which can have untold miles on it. One can acquire a brand new Autogear transmission for approx $2,200.00. So its hard to justify that much $ for something 50 plus years old.
To be honest my recommendation would be to get one of the new Tremec (5 speed overdrive) transmissions that dont require tunnel mods but now you are almost $3K just for the trans. But you are not half assing the trans swap. Most manual trans people eventually want a way tolower highway rpm if a fair amount of highway driving is done. The 1:1 fourth gear ratio doesnt cut it with a performance set of rear gears.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO the only Muncie that is worth $1K-$1.2K is one that has had a recent rebuild by a professional manual transmission shop and backed up by receipts that indicate what was done. A typical used Muncie is in the $400.00-$700.00 range. After all we are talking about a 50 year old transmission which can have untold miles on it. One can acquire a brand new Autogear transmission for approx $2,200.00. So its hard to justify that much $ for something 50 plus years old.
To be honest my recommendation would be to get one of the new Tremec (5 speed overdrive) transmissions that dont require tunnel mods but now you are almost $3K just for the trans. But you are not half assing the trans swap. Most manual trans people eventually want a way tolower highway rpm if a fair amount of highway driving is done. The 1:1 fourth gear ratio doesnt cut it with a performance set of rear gears.
Yes, the ones im looking at for 1000 are freshly rebuilt transmissions. I found one for 300 but needed a rebuild. Im only 20 so im not too familiar with this older stuff. At 3K would you advise just spending the extra $1000 and getting the T56 Magnum? I know it would require cutting the tunnel but I have a guy that will do it for a good price. I wanted to get a muncie in it a few weeks after I pick it up but it sounds like I will be farther ahead going with a 5-6 speed. I am looking to daily the car.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Well you may not agree but if you are going to daily drive a 70 Chevelle you may want to rethink a manual transmission unless your commute is overwhelmingly rural. Also you may want to hold off doing any mods as you may need extra funds to make unexpected repairs. A lot of problems can pop up on a 50 year old car.
For instance, what if the car starts over heating while daily driving? You could possibly have to dump an unexpected $1K into the cooling system and a problem like that cant be put off. Give yourself several months to work out the bugs before you start making changes.
Hope this isnt a big block or you will be spending plenty on gasoline to daily drive it.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Yes, the ones im looking at for 1000 are freshly rebuilt transmissions.
A word to the wise. Dont take sellers word on transmission being rebuilt. Accept only written proof by a reputable PROFESSIONAL transmission shop.

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I manual swapped my Chevelle from a th350 to a muncie m20. Pretty easy swap honestly and I thought it was worth it, driving a manual is so much more fun. All my cars are stick.

I’m not too sure if the 700r4 and the muncie are the same length, I know my Muncie and th350 were the same I didn’t have to change driveshaft length or move the crossmember at all. But when I went to the T56, which I highly recommend because of OD, it was a lot of custom work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you may not agree but if you are going to daily drive a 70 Chevelle you may want to rethink a manual transmission unless your commute is overwhelmingly rural. Also you may want to hold off doing any mods as you may need extra funds to make unexpected repairs. A lot of problems can pop up on a 50 year old car.
For instance, what if the car starts over heating while daily driving? You could possibly have to dump an unexpected $1K into the cooling system and a problem like that cant be put off. Give yourself several months to work out the bugs before you start making changes.
Hope this isnt a big block or you will be spending plenty on gasoline to daily drive it.
Im quite sold on a manual, my current vehicle is a 5 speed manual albeit a 4cyl Hardbody lol. I was planning on upgrading the radiator right away. Yes it is a 454, I completely expect to get 10MPG if im lucky. I will have some extra funds but don’t want to dive deep into them. I could probably deal with the 700R4 till I start the heavy modifications next June (Twin Turbo). But was seeing how cheap a manual could be swapped into it. Still need to be able to do 70 no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I manual swapped my Chevelle from a th350 to a muncie m20. Pretty easy swap honestly and I thought it was worth it, driving a manual is so much more fun. All my cars are stick.

I’m not too sure if the 700r4 and the muncie are the same length, I know my Muncie and th350 were the same I didn’t have to change driveshaft length or move the crossmember at all. But when I went to the T56, which I highly recommend because of OD, it was a lot of custom work.
How much was it for your T56 installed? Was it a magnum or regular 56? Ive found plenty T56 around me for 2000-2500.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Most manual trans people eventually want a way tolower highway rpm if a fair amount of highway driving is done. The 1:1 fourth gear ratio doesnt cut it with a performance set of rear gears.
^^This. if using this car on the highway at all, i would figure out what gear is in it, which is pretty easy with the online rpm calculators. Since a 700R has a .7:1 4th gear, you will be spinning it faster with a 1:1 muncie. might not end up with the ideal highway cruiser. Personally, i would do it once, and get a trans (overdrive) that has about the equivalent ratio of the 700R. Keep in mind that 700R isnt a junk piece either, its worth a few bucks, however used transmissions can be a tough sell above core value.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Well Lalderman21,
Lets hear a little more about this 70 that you are going to make into a daily driver. Any pics?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Turbo 400 shifted with the Hurst Autostick I. Buy a 13" custom converter, shift kit set for soft as possible, standard rear end in 2:73.. Big Block motor with a street cam, smooth idle with 18" to 20" of vacuum. That's my favorite.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^This. if using this car on the highway at all, i would figure out what gear is in it, which is pretty easy with the online rpm calculators. Since a 700R has a .7:1 4th gear, you will be spinning it faster with a 1:1 muncie. might not end up with the ideal highway cruiser. Personally, i would do it once, and get a trans (overdrive) that has about the equivalent ratio of the 700R. Keep in mind that 700R isnt a junk piece either, its worth a few bucks, however used transmissions can be a tough sell above core value.
I’m told it’s a 3.73 rear gear. Im kinda lost on what to do. I’d prefer not to keep the 700R4 but I agree, the 1:1 and on the Muncie won’t cut it for me most likely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Lalderman21,
Lets hear a little more about this 70 that you are going to make into a daily driver. Any pics?
Yessir. Gonna put a deposit on it tomorrow I hope. I’m only 20 so I Could be way over ambitious on this thing but time will tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turbo 400 shifted with the Hurst Autostick I. Buy a 13" custom converter, shift kit set for soft as possible, standard rear end in 2:73.. Big Block motor with a street cam, smooth idle with 18" to 20" of vacuum. That's my favorite.
View attachment 698367

View attachment 698366

View attachment 698365
Nice ride man! That does sound pretty nice but I plan on doing a T56 swap down the road. Almost sounds like I should bite the bullet and do it now. Worried i’ll have to go a little too deep in my piggy bank to make it happen lol.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Well from the couple pics it looks nice. What area/state do you hail from. I understand your intention to daily drive this car. What distances are we talking here. Do you have a back up plan/ back up vehicle if something happens?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well from the couple pics it looks nice. What area/state do you hail from. I understand your intention to daily drive this car. What distances are we talking here. Do you have a back up plan/ back up vehicle if something happens?
Yeah, I believe its a solid car. I can get it for 36-37K, is that a good deal? I’m in Central Florida and yes I plan to daily drive it. During the week i drive 10 miles a day on average to the gym and work with the occasional trip 2 hours away to visit my little brother. I have my 97 Nissan Pickup that’s decently sorted.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
Well it is very hard to determine from a few pics the value of a car. $36K is clone territory for a 70 Chevelle. To be honest a personal inspection would need to be done to determine a vehicles quality. Florida would be one of the best states to daily drive such a car and a ten mile per day commute seems reasonable. How are your mechanical skills? It is inevitable that work will need to be done. Glad to hear you havea back up vehicle. If it does have 3:73 rear gears an overdrive trans is pretty much a must.
Does it have AC? Youll need it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts