Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a beautiful LS-6 {non-numbers
matching} that originally had bench/4 speed. The car now has a Super T-10 and buckets. I want to put a center console in the car, but before I make the $250 investment, I would like to know if a reproduction console (available from Ausley's) can be installed with little or no modification. It seems the shifter, where it rises through the floor is too far toward the driver's side. Is the location of the shifter the same in a bench car as it is in a buckets car?
Thanks,

------------------
70 Chevelle SS LS-6
Texas

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not sure about the reproduction consoles, but the hump in the floor where the shifter comes through is different for a console shifter. The hole for the console shifter is rectangular oval shaped, where the hole without a console has a large square hole.You can buy the correct hump for the console, most of the chevelle parts suppliers carry them. Just pop the welds on the old one and weld the new one on.
You may have to change your shifter, depending on what one you have. That may be the reason why it is too far forward on the
drivers side.The one for a 68-72 console should stick up through the center, not off to the side like the 67 on back cars
Good luck.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 11-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 11-03-99).]

·
Registered
341 Posts
The factory shifter and replacement shifters are specific to Chevelles. The shifter is pretty much in the center of the trans hump in the floor. Other shifters not specific to a Chevelle puts the shifter off to the left side, towards the driver. If your shifter is a Hurst, get the number off of the shifter itself, not the lever, and check to see if it is for your car. I don't know if you will find a shifter to fit that trans and with the stock console.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the only Z16 convertible made.

L

·
0 Posts
The shifter mounting point for a Super T-10 should be the same as a Muncie. It will come up through the floor the same place. If your shifter has an offset to the left, it won't fit a console. Look at the shifter; is the stick offset to the of the shifter body?

If your present shifter won't work, Hurst makes a shifter that fits console applications. Of course, it may not be worth it to you to pay out for a new Hurst if your present shifter works fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In order for you to get a console to work, you must have the proper shifter. A console shifter has the shifter coming out of the main body of the shifter then makes a right angle toward the passenger for about 1.5" then goes straight up for the shifter lever handle. I have a practically new one for sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.