Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

What follows will be my step by step method for restoring my fuel tank. My reasons for doing this were simple. I had a seeping leak somewhere that prevented me from filling my tank past halfway. I'm thinking it was around the area of the filler neck, but I can't be sure. While purchasing a brand new tank would be easier by far, an attempt at sealing and restoring it will keep an original part on the car that I know will fit and give me an interesting project. This project was done a little more than a year ago, so the lasting effects can be commented on at the end. I'll post this project in steps over the next few days, so that I can comment as much as possible.

My plan
Drop the tank
Clean up the tank's exterior
Clean and seal the interior using POR-15's product
Paint the exterior
Clean up and paint mounting straps
Clean and paint Chevelle body outside trunk area

If you can't wait for the full story here, you can view my web album to see the job. I do want to post actual pictures here, so that the Chevelles.com can have hard copies, because in a couple of years, I'm not sure my web album will still be there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106242937059319515061/ChevelleFuelTank?authuser=0&feat=directlink

To start my attached photos, here is a before and after view of the tank:

Attachments

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,627 Posts
I sealed the interior of my original '69 tank with the POR-15 system 15 years ago and have had no problems to date.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Here is how I restore gas tank. Steep one remove old tank two. Throw said tank in the trash. Three instal a new tank and have peice of mind

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KeithB,

Not really a restoration.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,627 Posts
If you need to seal any tiny holes and POR doesn't have a gas resistant product, use Marine-Tex epoxy. It's very gas resistant and used inside carburetors. Available at boat and marine stores or from www.cliffshighperformance.com.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
KeithB,

Not really a restoration.
But it's safest thing you can do. The last thing anyone needs are gas leaks and or trash going though their engine.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,180 Posts
Hey all,

What follows will be my step by step method for restoring my fuel tank. My reasons for doing this were simple. I had a seeping leak somewhere that prevented me from filling my tank past halfway. I'm thinking it was around the area of the filler neck, but I can't be sure. While purchasing a brand new tank would be easier by far, an attempt at sealing and restoring it will keep an original part on the car that I know will fit and give me an interesting project. This project was done a little more than a year ago, so the lasting effects can be commented on at the end. I'll post this project in steps over the next few days, so that I can comment as much as possible.

My plan
Drop the tank
Clean up the tank's exterior
Clean and seal the interior using POR-15's product
Paint the exterior
Clean up and paint mounting straps
Clean and paint Chevelle body outside trunk area

If you can't wait for the full story here, you can view my web album to see the job. I do want to post actual pictures here, so that the Chevelles.com can have hard copies, because in a couple of years, I'm not sure my web album will still be there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106242937059319515061/ChevelleFuelTank?authuser=0&feat=directlink

To start my attached photos, here is a before and after view of the tank:
You got that tank looking pretty darn good.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Easier to just get a new one:yes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, great, I get it. A bunch of guys take the easy, no work way. Sure. It's less time consuming. And maybe, if you're lucky, you have all the parts to buy aftermarket and everything fits perfectly and puppies and kittens live together in peace and harmony. Sweet.

I get these comments all the time. Like when I posted over at elcaminocentral.com about the drastic improvements I made to an HEI distributor by simply shimming the free play of the shaft. Read it here:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=49937

I was getting comments like "why do all this why you can BUY a Skip White dizzy for $XX. Yeah. Sure. Great. But what would I learn?

For a lot of car geeks, a simple call to a parts store with a credit card doesn't solve their problems. For them, their prized parts aren't readily reproduced, so they have to think about repairing what they have. So if you're interested in alternate ways of thinking/working I'll spend my time to tell you what I did to accomplish amazing results. If not, then don't bother telling me I wasted my time.

Let me remind you, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sealed the interior of my original '69 tank with the POR-15 system 15 years ago and have had no problems to date.
Thanks, Von. It seems we're in the minority here.

My first use of the POR-15 fuel tank systems was with on a motorcycle tank. That was well over 12 years ago. The bike is closing on 30 years of age (1985 Honda VF700F Interceptor) and the tank coating/repair is holding up spectacularly. Not as single issue of carb clogging, and fuel filter swaps have been done more by rote than need, and never has there been evidence of rust in my carbs. Water from a leaking tank cap is an entirely different story.

Spoiler alert:
The fuel seep I had previously is entirely gone now with the help of the POR-15 system.

As I always say: Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
if you want to split hairs on restoring. there is no home based kit that will reproduce the factory finish on the tank. and for us who wants factory correct appearance a new tank is the only way to go.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,627 Posts
A new tank may be easier IF you can get one without the hassle of receiving one with the filler neck bent, damaged, broken, or not yet installed. Then there are the ones that require a different fill cap. Not to mention cost savings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts