Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Could anyone please tell me what is the best way of removing my original clock and replacing it with a NOS part. Do I have to remove the whole dash to get the instrument cluster? What is the easiest step by step procedure? If I remove my gauges, how should I polish the lenses?
Thanks, Curtis.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I think that you would have to remove the gauge cluster to remove the clock. You might want to replace the bulbs while it is out. The lens is held in by pins that have been melted and flattened out. You would have to get the pins to release the lens. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000494.html
As for polishing the lens I think that you could remove it and polish it, they do have replacements for them though, and then put it back on by melting the tabs back.
If you just polish the outside of the lens I would then remove the gauges and polish the lens without risk of damaging the gauges.
I hope this helps.
Also removing the dash has been discussed before and has been explained better than I could do it. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/001401.html
------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited 02-05-2002).]

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Curtis, I've got mine off now - it's not that hard.

(After disconnecting the battery)
1. Take off the dash pad (top of dash)
2. You MIGHT be able to get to the 3 clock bolts without taking off the whole gauge cluster, which will save you a lot of time.
Undo the 3 bolts, and the clock will slide out (with some manuevering).

If you need to take out the whole gauge cluster, it's more complicated.

Polish the lens with Meguire's Scratch X, it works great with a bit of elbow grease.

------------------
What, me worry??

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Xtreme, I just put my cluster back in my 71 and I don't think that there is enough room behind the cluster to remove the clock assem. Also the circuit board will have a good chance of getting damaged.
Just my .02.
I may be wrong (my wife tells me this all the time)

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Ok, I get home, take one look at my cluster and realize it's impossible to remove the clock without disconnecting the circuit board first. As a result, it may be easier to pull the whole cluster instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts