Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a1970 Chevelle SS 4 speed manual with a Holly carb. I am trying to get the TCS solenoid hooked back up correctly but I a not sure of the proper vacuum line hook up. I have included pictures of the carburetor and the switch.

Thanks
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Rim Machine
Motor vehicle Rim Wood Automotive exterior Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Alloy wheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see the TCS on the diagram, but I am sure I will need the information in the future. I need to figure out where to hook up the vacuum advance and what vacuum lines to hook to the 2 vacuum ports on the carburetor. All 3 tie into the TCS, just not sure of the correct locations.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
The single fitting is the vacuum supply. It connects to a manifold vacuum port on the front of the carb. 2 ports exit the solenoid. The one sticking straight out goes to the carb to a clean air port that is open to the atmosphere but filtered by the air filter. There is no vacuum at any time at the clean air port. The hose coming out of the side at a 90 goes to the distributor vacuum advance can.
Font Motor vehicle Line Parallel Rectangle
Organism Font Line Art Parallel
Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive design

Organ Organism Font Rectangle Line
Rectangle Font Schematic Slope Parallel
Font Symmetry Document Number
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The single fitting is the vacuum supply. It connects to a manifold vacuum port on the front of the carb. 2 ports exit the solenoid. The one sticking straight out goes to the carb to a clean air port that is open to the atmosphere but filtered by the air filter. There is no vacuum at any time at the clean air port. The hose coming out of the side at a 90 goes to the distributor vacuum advance can.
View attachment 723455 View attachment 723456 View attachment 723457
View attachment 723452 View attachment 723453 View attachment 723454 View attachment 723458
Thanks so much. That is what I was trying to figure out. My exact setup. I just need to check my smog hose and hook the others back up. Great information.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Are you doing this to meet emissions requirements or just a proper restore? If it's for restore, I would bypass the system but install it completely. There are a few ways to do this that are undetectable to the eye. If you intend to drive the car, then full-time vacuum advance offers better driveability and lower combustion temps = lower coolant temps.

Ground up has the vacuum hardline kit for the TCS and Distributor advance if you are interested. I'm sure it's available at other places as well. There are 2 different types, one for Holley and one for Rochester carbs.

1970 Chevelle Big Block Vacuum Advance Kit, Holley Carburetor & TCS

Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part Eyewear Font

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you doing this to meet emissions requirements or just a proper restore? If it's for restore, I would bypass the system but install it completely. There are a few ways to do this that are undetectable to the eye. If you intend to drive the car, then full-time vacuum advance offers better driveability and lower combustion temps = lower coolant temps.

Ground up has the vacuum hardline kit for the TCS and Distributor advance if you are interested. I'm sure it's available at other places as well. There are 2 different types, one for Holley and one for Rochester carbs.

1970 Chevelle Big Block Vacuum Advance Kit, Holley Carburetor & TCS

View attachment 723506
Right now I am just trying to get it back to the proper configuration. The car was Dad's car, he passed away a year ago, at the time the car had jumped time and the carburetor needed some work. I am wanting to drive it from time to time to keep it going but right now just getting it back into running shape. Finally did it get it running over the weekend but I knew the vacuum lines were not correct. I will check out the bypass kit as I fix the other little things.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,027 Posts
The TCS was the first thing eliminated /bypassed the first day I owned my 70 LS6, then the smog pump, then the distributor recurved on the dist. machine. A company in Detroit, at the time, sold a kit / package containing short pieces of metal tubing to bypass and reconnect the TCS hoses and about 50 different sizes of vacuum caps to “update” your emission control systems. Just getting rid of the TCS retard made the car run so much better, especially in first and second gears of the TH400. Still have some GM TCS solenoids in a box collected over the years of helping Chevelle owners make their car run a little bit better.....FWIW.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
The TCS was the first thing eliminated /bypassed the first day I owned my 70 LS6, then the smog pump, then the distributor recurved on the dist. machine. A company in Detroit, at the time, sold a kit / package containing short pieces of metal tubing to bypass and reconnect the TCS hoses and about 50 different sizes of vacuum caps to “update” your emission control systems. Just getting rid of the TCS retard made the car run so much better, especially in first and second gears of the TH400. Still have some GM TCS solenoids in a box collected over the years of helping Chevelle owners make their car run a little bit better.....FWIW.
You by any chance have the head temp sending unit. Mine just looks like a regular temp gauge with a spayed single connector. I broke off the tab pulling the engine and would like it all running just will not have it shut off vacuum to the distributor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts