Thanks to some extremely helpful advice from dlabooda, a well known member of these forums, I was able to get the wiring to the headlights all working properly. Now the high beams all work together, rather than the low beams running on the outside while the high beams are running in the center. I also stripped the black paint off the headlight brackets and got it back to its original chrome. Just a small step forward to getting a little bit of chrome back on this car!
Now all of the headlights are in the correct locations, and I also had to rewire the electric fan because it was not kicking on and the car was getting overheated. After ordering a new relay for the fan, I found out the problem as I was taking the old one out. The original builder had the power wire grounded! Unbelievable! Of course it won't turn on if you have both the GROUND and POWER wire running to a ground spot! MY GOODNESS FIGURE IT OUT!
Next I was having problems with the front running lights working. The turn signals worked fine, but the drivers side park light would not turn on under any circumstances, even if I got new bulbs. Each of the park light connectors was wired to 5 different crimp connectors and very poorly installed, and the ground was less than stellar. After rewiring each of them, I was still having issues. It turns out (Which I am sure everyone already knew except for me) that the bracket to hold the park light/front turn signals is actually the ground itself for that light. So the zip ties (Yes...it was held on by zip ties) that were holding the bracket in place were making for an inconsistent ground. Apparently they aren't made out of metal. Who knew?
Now I have all the wiring on the front end figured out, I took it out for a drive and brought it back in. The brake lights were staying on as I pulled it back into the garage. Needs a brake pedal return spring, so I ordered one. Then, randomly the drivers side brake light went out, but the running lights and turn signals were working fine. So I knew the bulb was not the issue, and in a recurring theme of events decided to look at the wiring. I was getting sick of the wiring to this car, it was driving me absolutely nuts. I pulled out the back seat, the drivers seat, and the carpet to find the wires that ran from the brake pedal to the back lights. After a little bit of research I found that the brake lights are directly connected to the turn signal lights by a white wire. After inspecting closer, and testing power to the wires, everything should have been working fine. Turns out (no pun intended) that the turn signal switch in the column is the problem, so now I have to take apart the steering column to figure out where the issue is. (I know it is the turn signal switch now because when I flicked it and touched the brake pedal the brake lights both came on.) 2 Days later, still running into issues with the wiring to the car, it is a complete disaster. But it is a work in progress, I guess this helps add to the fun of old cars huh?
Anyways, I hope to post more pictures soon, had to take out the door latches because they needed to be replaced or cleaned up. I got replacement door lock mechanisms (which they forgot to send me the installation screws for) for it and they seem to work well other than the fact that the outside door handle button is not long enough to reach the internal flange to activate the door switch. I tried to bend it so that it was straight and without any luck I ended up screwing up the rod. First thing so far that I haven't been able to salvage as part of my screw ups with the parts I already had, so I ordered new push buttons on eBay that should be in by the end of this week. Then I plan to get it all put back together and take some more pictures for everyone! Took out the ****ty center console because it was ugly as hell and found out that it was just used to hide all the terrible wiring internally. UGHHHHH rewiring the car is going to be the death of me!
Please let me know if you see any bright sides to my story so far, I would love to hear them!