Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this car and went to take a look at it today, and want some advice on what to do. It is a 70 chevelle malibu convertible. It's medium blue with a black top. The top is electric and new however the area where the back window panel meets the rest of the top is a little apart (sorry kind of hard to explain0). Only one rust spot about the size of a half dollar where the fender mmeets the door. Also a few paint minor paint scapes. Finally on the right rear quater there is some bondo whicj is begging to crack. Not a major crack but noticeable from a few feetaway. The interior is in very good shape. Only one minor tear on the passenger head rest. The only thing wrong is the drivers side back window need a crank (I think). Engine is a 350 and the trans is probably a th350 or 400, I'm pretty sure its not a powerglide. Runs good. Not sure about rear end because talked to the lady who owned but husband knew more. Also the engine was rebuilt 3 years ago. The lady has only used the car for short trips to store and local college. Power steering, but no power brakes.
That's about it. Asking price is 4800. I was wondering how good this sounded or what a good offer would be. Also, I live in Chicago so rust free cars are hard to find.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Jim -

For your area, that sounds like a pretty good price for the car. I just bought a 70 conv last month, and I did lots of checking to see what they're going for. Trouble is, there are very few for sale, which means that the supply is low. Super nice ones (i.e., #1-#2 cars) are going for mid to high teens.

Dean Call and DZAUTO (Tom) from this site both have 70 ragtops as well, so maybe we can get their input as well.

Check out the frame and floorboards, and if the rust is minimal, I'd say go for it if its what you're looking for. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
That sounds pretty cheap given that it's a 70 Chevelle convertible. I have been looking long and hard for a 64 to 70 convertible and the cheapest 70 that I have found is 2500 and much assembly is required. Usually if someone has a convertible he wants a king's ransom for it, so check every square inch of it for more bondo and be sure to check the frame. If that sucker is rotted in two, you may have a tough time finding another convertible frame.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
777 Posts
Jim,

It's a rip off, don't do it. Waaayyyy too much money!!! By the way...hat's their number?
NOT!
Sounds like a deal to me. I bought a low mileage '70 hardtop 307/'glide for about $3200, in very good condition tho it needs a paint job.
Good Luck with it!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Rainer,
Did I reply here or by email about my conv? If I sent an email and you still have it, you might forward it to Jim, I have already deleted it. If I posted a reply, I don't remember where it was. Do you? By the way, did you see my post about the 12bolt posi that I stole? All it needed was 5 bearings. Now I have it cleaned, sandblasted, painted and rebuilt (and it has a perfect tooth pattern). Now i just have to get it installed.

------------------

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing to add, I don't know if it is that important, but the people that are selling it have owned i for a yaer and a half. I think I may call and make and offer today. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.