Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit obscure, but I was wondering if anyone has any research as to the degree of polishing that the lower windshield stainless molding had from the factory. I've seen quite a few original pieces, but of course they are all old now. The question is just how highly polished did they come from the factory. It's a stamped piece and I suspect it was stamped with finished stainless because finishing after the fact would have been costly and difficult given it's gauge and geometry. It also probably isn't too sensible for it to be mirror polished given its location and potential for sun glare. Anyone happen to know?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have 2 original pieces as far as I know anyway and they are highly polished to the point of looking like they have been chromed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bart, I have two as well and just finished a third - all original, but have they collected 47 years of age. I've studied them all, looked under the screw heads with a magnifier, etc, but it's difficult to tell for sure. There is heavy horizontal graining evident in all 3 of the ones I've studied. So I took out the scratches and finished to 2,000 grit horizontally and then polished it with Brown Tripoli. It's bright and reflective, but not mirror-like. I think it looks correct, but if not the base is there to hit it with green rouge to bring it up more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts