Team Chevelle banner

1970 Chevelle L78 / Build information by VIN

228 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Big "G"
I'm new to the forum and this is my first attempt to find out if anybody knows how to determine by VIN the actual position of the build within the build year?
For example, I have recently acquired a 70 Chevelle SS 396 / 375HP L78 4-speed car and have the build sheet for the car. It is my understanding from my research to date, that this particular year and model was no longer built after sometime in early December of 1969. My car was built 12/69 and I would like to know if possible, how many L78's were built after mine? The car was built at the Van Nuys plant. It has to be one of the last built before production stopped, just want to know how close to the last one...
Anyone know if this information is attainable and if so, how?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396 / L78 4-Speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the date code on your cowl tag? 12? And what is the last part of your vin (sequence)?
What is the date code on your cowl tag? 12? And what is the last part of your vin (sequence)?
Thanks for the website you recommended, I just finished my research on it and found my car has been listed on it by a previous owner, how cool. It is the very one you mentioned in one of your posts with VIN 1515xx and was dated 12/2. It also appears to be the last one build that is listed on the website from all plants. However I'm going to assume that doesn't necessarily mean it is the last 70 L78 built period.
Just wondering if there is a way to find out if it truly is the last one off the line and if so, can this be documented?

· Premium Member
1,664 Posts
You are correct that it's not necessarily the last L78 built. With GM's terrible records keeping it will be impossible to know for sure. It is however the last known L78 built, in the L78 registry records. Congratulations on owning a very cool car and welcome to Team Chevelle. Post some pictures of your 70!

· Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396 / L78 4-Speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct that it's not necessarily the last L78 built. With GM's terrible records keeping it will be impossible to know for sure. It is however the last known L78 built, in the L78 registry records. Congratulations on owning a very cool car and welcome to Team Chevelle. Post some pictures of your 70!
Thanks for all your information and for welcoming me to Team Chevelle, much appreciated... I'll continue my search for additional information that may or not be available to me and keep you posted on my findings... There is a picture of the car on the L78 Chevelle registry site you referred me to, just click on the VIN and the picture will pop up. A previous owner most likely posted it when they listed the car in the registry. Meanwhile I will take some recent pictures and get them posted when able. Car is a Shadow Gray color w/black vinyl top and black stripes, same color as the LS6 I ordered in 1970 and owned for just 2 years... Family came along and sold the car for more of a family type car, Monte Carlo... Always wanted another Shadow Gray car and looked for close to 25 years before I found this one. Found a couple of others, but could not afford the asking prices. It appears that Shadow Gray code 17 paint was one of, if not the rarest of all standard factory colors with 200 built.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts