Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Well I found a 1970 L34 Chevelle - Low miles all orig SS matching numbers. Its an auto on the column with bucket seats, no air or gauges - pretty much a basic SS. The car has not been touched in 29 yrs. It needs restoration, the undercarriage etc is filthy. Interior is fair, need front seat covers, carpet and a dash as someone put a hole in it for an oil pressure gauge. No visible rust but the fenders need replacement as they are bowed above the wheel wells. I keep offerring the guy bet 7500 and 8000.00. He keeps insisting on 10,000.00.

What do you think - am I being unreasonable at my offer?

Thks

Rich

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
damn for that much work that needs done and a non/ac car i'd think your offer was high, some people (like my father-in-law and his 65 mustang) think they're stuff is gold. you should have no problem finding one for your price range and probably in much better condition. Just my opinion from a guy that use to (and still does from time to time) buys and sells cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Rich:

I'm curious, why does the guy think the car is worth $10K? Is it that he thinks all SS's are valuable, or does he think buckets and column auto are rare (from what I have read, they are rare but probably worth less than buckets and console/floor shift). Does the car have cowl induction? Posi? What is the color scheme? Is there extensive documentation (i.e. protecto plate, bill of sale, window sticker, build sheet)? Do the numbers match? How does it run? Depending on all this, you have to make a decision. I own a '70 L34 that I bought a year ago in much better condition than the car you describe, except mine has buckets with floor shift auto and AC. I paid more than $10k, but the condition of my rust free southern SS more than justifies the $ over the $10K that your guy wants. Depending on the answer to the questions I posted above, you may want to move on to another car. As the old axiom goes, buy the best condition that you can afford. These are 30 year old cars and will always need work & maintaining. I just did a ujoint and lower ball joints on my car. It adds up!!

Good luck and I hope this helped.

------------------
Morris "moepoe" Porter

Aces 2674
'70 L34 Chevelle SS396

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Rich,

Just to give you some reference, I purchased our '72 Chevelle SS in March of this year. The car was completely restored and in showcar condition. It came with 4 SS rally wheels & tires, 6 Centerline Warriors with 4 BF Goodrich radial T/A's and 2 M/T front runners. It has a play around with big block in it and the numbers matching big block on an engine stand. I've done some work on the car to personalize it, but the majority of the work was already done. Price tag on this car was $11,000. So, as you can see, they are out there. Good luck in your search!

------------------
Joe Giniel
72 Chevelle SS
Team Chevelle #143
Aces #03056

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Morris,

Yes - he does believe its worth alot. I tried explaning to him the differences of the LS5, 6 and even the better value of an L78 but I am not sure he believes me. He has owned the car for many years, the build sheet is probably still in the car somewhere. I refuse to look at the car again unless he is will to talk in my price range. As far as the resto - I have done it before so the cost will really be in parts and paint, all else will be done by me. I estimate I need around 5-6000.00 to bring the car back to perfect, providing I do not find any surprises when take the paint off.

The car is Cortez Silver with balck stripes and black interior and a cowl hood. He has had the car for sale for about 2 months - would you believe he started at 14,000.00?

Well I am always looking but here on the east coast people are asking the most ridiculous prices. Being not in a position to travel to far I am limited. However I won't give up. Got a have a Chevelle again.

As always you guys are great - input here is always very useful.

Thks

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Richr -

This isn't the same car you posted about a few weeks ago, is it? Like others said, its way overpriced at $10K. I think you're actually lucky that he didn't take your offer of $8K. That's still too much for the car. As far as bringing a car that's been sitting for 29 years to perfect for $5K to $6K, I think you're underestimating things a bit, even if you're doing everything yourself. Mid to high teens buys a very nice Chevelle that's pretty much done. Maybe you could hook up with a fellow member in the south or west to scout a car out for you. Good luck, and pass on this pile and let some other a** fill the seat.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rich:

You didn't mention if the car was chock full of documentation or not. I am assuming that it isn't. If the car has truly sat for as long as you estimated, be prepared for some mechanical surprises, like brakes, exhaust, radiator, tires, tanny work, gas tank, wiring, ball joints, ujoints, etc. Those items add up. It sounds like you are emotionally attached to this car on some level and that is understandable. That's what these cars are all about. But remember that there are literally thousands of these cars still around, so there are many to choose from. Don't get too impatient, you'll find a chevelle.

Regards,

------------------
Morris "moepoe" Porter

Aces 2674
'70 L34 Chevelle SS396

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
$8,000.00 is a bunch for a shell,,,unless its a rare piece which this car is not,,sounds like 6 grand to me L89SEDAN

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morris and Rainer,

No its not the same one as the last one. As far as documentation there is none. Only a matching numbers car. However the build sheet is probably still there as the car has not been disassembled at all. The only real reason I am intrested in the car is becuase its been un touched - all original and although needs cleaning and a few things its a solid car. I have looked at a couple done but found them boring with nothing to do. After all I would prefer driving one that I can say I restored it.

After hearing your opinions though I do agree the price is too high and I was generous at my offer of 7500.00. I am still looking and more then likely will not buy this one.

Well I'll keep you guys posted and I'll keep looking.

Thks

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.