Team Chevelle banner

1970 chevelle key buzzer issue

632 Views 37 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  roadster601
hello all im having an issue with my 70 chevelle ss non tilt steering column, the dont forget the key is in ignition stays on. sometimes its ok other time buzzerstays on close the door it off pull key still buzzing key in still buzzing once it running all is well any ideas, im apictureguy so if you haveany thst will help me thanks all...
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hello copper top im sure you have many people who need your help worse than mine i like to thanks you for your time and knowledge to get me thru this wierd time talk again thanks

· Registered
1,620 Posts
The driver's switch will have two wire connections on it and most of the time it is a 0.205" connector. One connection is for the dome light circuit while the other for the key buzzer circuit.

The passenger side, and rear doors if a 4 door, are a single wire connection. Sometimes these are the same 0.205" connector or a bullet type of connector. In a push come to shove situation one could use the double connector pin switch in the passenger jamb and the rear door jambs but only one of the two connections would be used.

Here are both types side by side:

Jim

· Registered
1,620 Posts
The left door with the 2 connector pin switch has one terminal connector controlling the key buzzer circuit and the other connector on that same switch controls the dome light as well as other standard or optional interior lighting.

The passenger switch will have one wire to it and that switch also controls the same dome light and standard or optional interior lighting that the driver's door switch controls.

If things are wired properly and the switches are good, opening the passenger door will turn on the dome light and other standard or optional nterior lights. If this passenger door is then closed, the dome light and all of the other standard or optional interior lights will go off and then if you open up the driver's door those same lights will come on that came on when the passenger door was opened.

If both doors are closed all interior lighting should be off and then if the headlight switch is rotated fully the one way to where it then clicks, the same dome light and standard or optional interior lights will come on. Turning or twisting back the headlight knob will then turn the lights back off.

Jim

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
jim thanks so not to sound nuts, there should be just a single terminal door switch and a double terminal door switch. i understand the double terminal should be on the right side or pass side, and signal terminal switch on drivers side. im asking because im haveing issues with dome light and foot well lights, all good info dont want to burn out any good info guys lol and thanks

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I've looked at your issues with some lights coming on with one door open and then a different issue with that door closed and the other door opened.

I'm more attuned to the Nova models (68-up) and there may be some variations with the wiring between a Nova and a Chevelle but basically the dome light circuit works the same on both models.

You will have a constant fused 12V going to the interior light(s) and if you have one domelight, then just one constant fused 12V wire (normally orange in color) will go to one side of the bulb and then to activate it, the other side of the bulb needs to connect to a ground and normally this is a white color wire. Since the domelight can be activated by either the driver's door pin switch or the headlight switch, this white wire needs to be split to go to 2 different locations. If you have a passenger door domelight switch, then this white wire branches to 3 spots. My 68 Nova for example it never had a passenger door dome light pin switch and there is just an empty hole there so if I ever wanted to add a switch on this side I would run a white wire (just to keep some kind of standard) from this newly added switch to either the driver's door white wire and connect it there or maybe find a spot in the loom that I could splice into or possibly even go into the trunk and tag into the dome light wire there by the driver's side inner wheel house.

So far I've been talking about a single domelight and multiple ways to activate it but some cars have footwell lights or console floor lights, or whatever and on these all of the one sides of the bulbs connect together and go to a fused battery 12V, then all of the other sides of the lights connect together and then branch out to different switches like the door jamb switches and then also the headlight switch. Now if the white wire gets grounded ALL of the lights will come on. If some come on with a driver's door opening and then when closed, other lights come on then there has to be a wiring issue.

Jim

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I understand the double terminal should be on the right side or pass side, and signal terminal switch on drivers side.
NO, the double contact switch is for the driver's side and the single for the passenger side.

The driver's side will have one connection for the key buzzer circuit and the other for the dome light circuit.

The passenger side will have just a single connection for the dome light circuit.

Jim

· Registered
1,620 Posts
hi jim where does the left side switch wire for dome light get its power from thanks again..
The left side switch does not get power from anywhere. It connects a GROUND that either the domelight circuit needs or the key buzzer circuit needs.

I'm not going to get real in depth here but basically the dome lights/interior lights get constant fused 12V to them and then when a ground is completed or made on the other side of the bulb, the bulb will light.

Now if you are looking at things at something like a dome light in the roof, with the bulb off, a meter will show voltage on both sides of the bulb but then when a ground is made on the one side of the bulb NOT connected to 12V, the bulb will then light up and if this side of the bulb is measured with a meter, the voltage will go to 0 volts.

Something like this also happens with the key buzzer circuit in that the key buzzer (combined with the horn relay under the hood) has a constant 12V going to an activation coil and then when the key contacts get shorted together and then the driver's door is opened a ground is made and then the buzzer buzzes.

Gm for years has used a ground through the door pin switches to activate the dome light/interior lights but Ford normally used a switched power to the lights that were grounded inside the car somewhere. Some imports also used grounds to activate interior lights too. GM also mostly used a ground to activate the horns while Fords did it the other way by applying 12V to a relay. You just have to be aware as to how the circuit is designed.

Just be glad you are working on an older car and not one with 5V stuff or CAN Bus systems.

Jim

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Jim im happy you have taken the time to help, im 72 still doing cars since 13 and 25 classic cars later, just sometimes the memory goes and a good shot of info is what i need. im glad you took the time to help....

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
jim im happy you have taken the time to help, im 72 still doing cars since 13 and 25 classic cars later, just sometimes the memory goes and a good shot of info is what i need. im glad you took the time to help....

· Registered
1,620 Posts
jim im happy you have taken the time to help, im 72 still doing cars since 13 and 25 classic cars later, just sometimes the memory goes and a good shot of info is what i need. im glad you took the time to help....
I don't mind helping when I can and sometimes too, I get things wrong but hopefully if things are kept correct, others that may come across this discussion may find it helpful to correct an issue they have.

Sometimes doing things on the internet is a lot harder than having the car and issue(s) right in front of someone.

I'm 63 and while I have not built a lot of my own cars, I've helped with a bunch of others.

Helping out at a buddies shop is also interesting:

Some other things I've gone to or things I've worked on:

Jim

· Registered
1,620 Posts
Normally I'm behind the camera but I did see an OLD one from when I was working on my buddies Henry J. This was probably 30 years ago ?.

And here it was in 2021 at a race in southern Missouri. He red lighted but we were out having fun.

And the next project we are redoing due to someone else's electrical work and resulting fire:

Jim

21 - 38 of 38 Posts