Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all im having an issue with my 70 chevelle ss non tilt steering column, the dont forget the key is in ignition stays on. sometimes its ok other time buzzerstays on close the door it off pull key still buzzing key in still buzzing once it running all is well any ideas, im apictureguy so if you haveany thst will help me thanks all...

· Registered
1,003 Posts
hello all im having an issue with my 70 chevelle ss non tilt steering column, the dont forget the key is in ignition stays on. sometimes its ok other time buzzerstays on close the door it off pull key still buzzing key in still buzzing once it running all is well any ideas, im apictureguy so if you haveany thst will help me thanks all...
You have to take the column lock switch out ther is a little bi metal springy thing in there that makes contact when you put the key in apparently it has lost its springiness and stays in contact.. Alex

· Premium Member
9,131 Posts
I had the same issue with my driver 70, It is just dirty, Give it a TINY shot of " WD-40 " ( in the key hole ) then pull the key in and out a few times to get the dirt & yuck gone. I did this 3 - 4 years ago, Buzzer is fine, no issues!

· Registered
2,362 Posts
If one really does not want the buzzer function the switch can be removed. Reread post #2. Consult a service manual. Alternately the buzzer could be pulled it there is not key binding issue. I have a few cars and the older ones do not have a buzzer so to me I really don't need it if it was nonfunctional. My '70s cars have low miles and I have never has an issue on my cars. Personally if I did have a problem I would replace the switch since the cars are low mile.

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Let's back up here. No need to tear into the column as the first step.

If the key buzzer is sounding with the driver's side door CLOSED, then that's a clue right there.

The source for the ground to operate the buzzer is the driver's side door pin switch.

Even if the tiny switch contacts in the in the switch assembly inside the steering column are shorted together, you would not get a buzzer unless the ground connection is made to the door pin switch.

The driver's side door pin switch has 2 wires and a special pin switch with 2 connections to hold those wires. One is white. This is to activate the dome/courtesy lights. The black wire is the "input" for the buzzer.

· Gold Founding Member
47,597 Posts
If one really does not want the buzzer function the switch can be removed. Reread post #2. Consult a service manual. Alternately the buzzer could be pulled it there is not key binding issue. I have a few cars and the older ones do not have a buzzer so to me I really don't need it if it was nonfunctional. My '70s cars have low miles and I have never has an issue on my cars. Personally if I did have a problem I would replace the switch since the cars are low mile.
The buzzer is the horn relay

· Registered
1,638 Posts
What I have:

Schematic:

Video of activating the horn portion of the relay and then grounding another terminal to activate the buzzer(Horn relay shown without the cover which helps to amplify the buzzing sound).

https://flic.kr/p/ucBMSc

Feather Finger Contact assembly:

Contact points on the turn signal assembly inside the column:

Special door jamb in switch with double contacts. One terminal to activate the dome light while the other is for the key buzzer circuit.

Jim

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my chevelle ss is a 1970 non tilt column, hey guys ty so much... but i like to repeat my issue im in the car no buzzer i pull key no buzzer, open the door buzzing, close door buzzing off. making me nuts lol can this be right thanks again lou...

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
my chevelle ss is a 1970 non tilt column, hey guys ty so much... but i like to repeat my issue im in the car no buzzer i pull key no buzzer, open the door buzzing, close door buzzing off. making me nuts lol can this be right thanks again lou...
Ok, your posts are a little difficult to read :unsure:

.... I based my response on your first post.

If the buzzer STOPS when the door is closed, then the door pin switch is okay. This would make the internal switch in the column suspect if I'm reading your latest post correctly

This is how it is supposed to work:

Car off, key inserted in the ignition and the ignition is in the "off/lock" position. Open driver's side door.....BUZZZZZ. Remove Key. Buzz STOPS.

Car off, key inserted in the ignition and the ignition is in the "off/lock" position. Open driver's side door.....BUZZZZZ. Keep the key inserted, but SHUT THE DOOR. Buzz STOPS.

Key in the "ACCESSORY" position. Open driver's side door. BUZZZZZZZ..

Key in the ON/RUN position. Open driver's side door. NO buzz.

If you want a quick disable method. Disconnect the pink with black stripe wire at the horn relay.

If you want the system to work, you're going to have to do some troubleshooting. We can help, but I'm not going to type it all out if your intent is just to get rid of of the buzz.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hello copper/all ,well this is what i found i put switch in neutral position key is in i have no accy on switch problem inside switch.. no key in switch still buzzing, now i discover no key in or on i open up drivers door still have buzzer and i only have wheel well light on drivers side no wheel wheel light right side and no dome light. close drivers side door. open pass door i have dome light wheel well light r and left. now i disconnect the pink /black wire at relay buzzer is out... and still no light wheel well and no dome light r/side ????
so for me there are a few issues key dont go to accy, buzzer, lights

· Registered
10,812 Posts
Wow, I don't think I've ever had the buzzer work in any classic I've owned. 😁

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I don't think I've ever had the buzzer work in any classic I've owned. 😁
me either but i never had a chevyother than my 67 corvette thats worth so much money before. so i have the time now ill keep working to get it right with the many friends and aquentances i have made along the way, my kids would be happy when they sell it when my day comes so thanks for your reply and happy motoring..

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
hello copper/all ,well this is what i found i put switch in neutral position key is in i have no accy on switch problem inside switch.. no key in switch still buzzing, now i discover no key in or on i open up drivers door still have buzzer and i only have wheel well light on drivers side no wheel wheel light right side and no dome light. close drivers side door. open pass door i have dome light wheel well light r and left. now i disconnect the pink /black wire at relay buzzer is out... and still no light wheel well and no dome light r/side ????
so for me there are a few issues key dont go to accy, buzzer, lights
Okay then. Sounds like some multiple issues to work through. :unsure:

Each door has a pin switch where there white wire that controls the dome and courtesy lights gets switched. When any white wire gets grounded, the lights should come on.

There's another way to turn on the dome/courtesy as well. With all the doors SHUT, you can manually turn on the lights by rotating your headlight switch knob fully counter-clockwise.

I'm curious if the manual override (headlight knob) works on your car?

What I gather from your description is you might start investigating the door pin switches. This will require the side interior kick panels to be removed.

The driver's side switch (shown in Jim's picture post) will have 2 connections. One for a white (ground for the dome/courtesy) and black (ground for the key buzzer). The passenger side will ONLY have a white wire for dome/courtesy control).

The thing to remember when troubleshooting (and what confuses some people). Is ALL the courtesy and dome light bulbs have +12 volts at all times from the BATT/courtesy fuse. The power side does not get switched! The ground side is what gets switched. When any white ground wire apart of the courtesy lamp circuit gets grounded, that ground is sent to all the bulbs to complete the circuit and all the bulbs light up.(y)

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, the right side floor and dome dont come on only the the left side is working,so your saying the dome light switch might be bad r side. i will check the manually using the switch

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
ok, the right side floor and dome dont come on only the the left side is working,so your saying the dome light switch might be bad r side. i will check the manually using the switch

To clarify your issue....

When the driver's side door is CLOSED. And you walk around and open the passenger side door....what happens???? Do any lights come on???

When the passenger's side door is CLOSED. And you walk around and open the driver's side door.....what happens???

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
first question, open door pass side the floor pan light comes and dome light right side comes on..
second question open door on drivers, side no dome light, just floor pan light comes on.

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
See my responses in bold....

first question, open door pass side the floor pan light comes and dome light right side comes on..

If opening the passenger side door causes the under-dash courtesy lamp to come on and the dome light to come on, the door pin switch is GOOD. No need to pull things apart.

I think the different terms are what is confusing. You say "floor pan light". To me, this means the under-dash courtesy lamp. There is 2 mounted under the dash. One on the passenger side and one on the driver's side to illuminate the foot well area for all front seat passengers.

Let me know if you meant something else.

You then said "dome light right side comes on"..... What the heck is a right side dome light? The dome light is on the roof....there is only one in the middle. No left, no right. The dome is the main light source....unless you have a convertible, then you have NO dome light.

What did you mean by "dome light right side" ?

second question open door on drivers, side no dome light, just floor pan light comes on.

Again, if the under-dash courtesy lamp comes on when the driver's side door is opened, this indicates the door pin switch is in working order.

Sounds like a previous owner did some "custom" work and messed up the wiring. If the under-dash lights were added after the fact, they may have cut into the wiring and not did things correctly.

I would take a peek under the dash and see if the wiring looks "spliced" together or factory where the under-dash courtesy lights connect.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im sorry for making you nuts,i was doing same anyway, pan light or courtsy lamps floor right and left, when i said dome light i mean when the door is opened the right door or left door opened the dome light would not come on. im sure this will make it right.. i been doing this car thing for over 60 years its all nuts lol...i hope that answers your question.

now door jamb switches one has a signal wire the other has 2 wires is this right...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts