Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pass.side will not lock.Lines up alright.Driver side locks and releases. What should I look for.?:frown2:

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
You will want to remove the plastic seat back. Two screws on the bottom of plastic and one underneath the plastic/chrome push button. You will have to remove the push button which has two release tabs. One on either side of button assembly. Be very carefully not to booger up release button and use something very thin to get to the release tabs. Once you get the back off you will see that the rubber strap that connects to seat bottom interacts with the release button. Something will be amiss there. Such as strap broken or interlock bent or broken.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Whoops, Disregard I misread and was thinking buckets. I believe the bench seats are a simple hook and latch. My guess would be hook and/or latch is bent or broken. Dosent the release button have an escutcheon on it? I would remove that and look in there with a flashlight to see what I could see.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have to partially remove my newly installed seat covers. This really sucks

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I would first remove the seat back rubber stop. Then see if it will lock when the seat back has a little more travel. If that is the problem you may have to sand it off a little. Your new seat cover may have too much thickness where the rubber stop is.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was in too much of a hurry to take it apart. Didn't notice.The seat is off the vehicle. The driv. seat latch I can move by hand and it locks.The pass side moves but does not lock down. I think I have 2 hogrings left from my 50 pack. I might have to partially remove the cover.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
It may just need some lubrication. Rusted up a little? You could try to tighten the bolts down for the part that is mounted to the seat bottom a little more. I am talking about the part that actually engages into the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah! I just went to TAMRAZS web site and they have a pic of a 69 camaro latch.I bet it is close to the same in my bench. I'll take it apart tomorrow and let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
I think I have 2 hogrings left from my 50 pack. I might have to partially remove the cover.
OK, if you recently recovered and now is not working ( I am assuming it was working prior) I would remove the cover and inspect. If you have an upholstery supply you can get a bag full of hog rings for a couple bucks. If not pm me your address and I can send you ten or so in an envelope.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I have had this problem before. Usually on 67-69 Camaro/ Firebird bucket seats. They use the same set up. It was usually caused by the part that gets mounted to the lower sear frame, not being able to penetrate the latch mechanism deep enough. Try to flop the upper seat back harder against the steel hoop that penetrates the latch. Another thing is that the seat cover material could be preventing the lever on the locking mechanism from dropping down as far as it need to be. That lever needs to be down all the way. That cardboard type material sewn to the seat cover around the hole for the release lever is kind of thick.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If all else fails, there could be a problem with the lock mechanism. If you end up needing one of those PM me, as I have some for sale.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. The release lever was bent causing it to not fully engage. Back to normal.Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts