Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone on site here has some 70-72 Chevelle SS dash carriers in their inventory would you please check them for part numbers and let me know what yours says? I have a 70 carrier with the part number 6493000 and I also have a 72 style dash carrier with the seat belt warning opening and hardware that has the exact same part number. I would have assumed the part number would have changed with the seat belt opening but need to confirm. The part number can be found on the back of the carrier in the area just above the radio opening. Thank you in advance for taking time to look and post.
Rick

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Rick here is a photo off of a 70SS dash. The first is the one your referring to and the second is by the heater defroster control hole. It looks hand scribed but its raised and not carved into the plastic. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy, yes that is it. The dash I am working on has the exact same markings but even though it appears to be a 72 style dash it was in an original 70 Chevelle. There are ZERO signs that the dash and/or gauges have been messed with let alone the dash carrier and everything is dated 1969. Unfortunately I cannot find a specific date on the plastic carrier and am now trying to determine if a 72 dash has the same mold number as a 70. I cannot imagine it would but that is what I need to find out. This is what I found on the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does no one have a 70, 71 and 72 SS dash laying around who can get me part/mold numbers and the year dash they have based on my above photos? I would appreciate any input especially from those who I routinely help. Thank you,
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
This is from a dash without the seatbelt warning. Sorry, I can't verify if it's a 70 or 71, but was told 70 when bought.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Rick, just got done with an early 72 LS5 (5500rpm) dash resto. I almost posted this same question you have here but elected to concentrate on another issue with the resto. The part/ molding number is the same on the 72 carrier as a 70 carrier I unpacked out of storage. I don't believe there is a separate part number. As you know some of the earlier 72's did not have the sb warning light. I believe the 72 carrier was original to the 72SS it came from, out of Michigan. Here is the thread I spoke of: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-interiors/845465-1971-1972-ss-dash-lighter-housing.html

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ron and everyone for their information. I will wait for Ken to see if he has any further information as well.

Well that is what I was afraid of. To tell what is going on here and why I am asking, I am restoring the dash, gauges and many other components for David H, the owner of the 1970 SS 396 Pilot car. When he brought the dash to me it was clearly a 72 dash but with 70 gauges and glove box cup holder. He believed this was the original dash to which I argued while still being open minded. The one thing that I can honestly say is this dash has NEVER been apart or messed with. The metal cage had crudely drilled holes for the rivets on the bottom and yet there were no rivets installed. It had also been drilled from the bottom side of the cage upwards so it was obviously drilled for rivets before it was installed. The holes were not stamped like an original. There were also no signs that the rivets had been drilled out and removed. It still had it's original "PILOT" marked circuit board, screws, vents, insulation, gauges, etc and not one item appeared to have ever been removed or replaced based on witness marks, patina, lack of any broken plastic, thread holes, etc. Most everything is even marked with dates yet the plastic dash itself has nothing to verify it being the original. Even though this is a pilot car I cannot imagine them building it with a dash that was not mandated for two more years but I cannot prove that. It is identical in most every way to my 70 dashes other than the seat belt warning opening. If anyone can add anything I am all ears.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Maybe a one-off non production put together for that pilot car? That sounds very interesting, always wondered why the 70's did not have the seat belt warning light also. Probably Fed Hwy standard changed right about then. This dash could be a one-of -a- kind.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don/Ron, to be honest I am not sure that the Federal Mandate was even being discussed yet in early 1969 so I cannot answer that. I have also not come across ANY early GM photos in any literature showing this feature on a 1970 Chevelle yet the condition of this dash does not lie. I am not sure when Mopar and Ford adopted this feature so I cannot go by that either. I think I will restore this dash as the original and argue with the neigh sayers later.

I did find this date marking (J J A S O N D with dots after them) June-December on the rear of the dash and have never seen those on another dash but really have no clue what it is trying to tell me nor why Jan-April is not included especially since this car was built the third week of April per the cowl tag. These markings were part of the casting and not stamped. However, I am finding evidence of later dated parts (though still pre-70 production) which tells me and like most pilot cars that the car remained in GM's possession as a test vehicle so items were likely removed and replaced with other items testing fit and function AFTER the car was actually built.

From what I can tell and if I am reading it correctly the plastic gauge carrier is dated July 2nd, 1969 so after the car was built and has a hand written (#2) in black marker. There is another gauge stamped with June 69. Also, a unique round stamp that says "Show *" (but can't read the rest) as well as a stamp on the back of the stamped metal Fuel and Temp gauge holder that reads "HAND MADE MODEL SHOP". The large stamped metal cluster back is also unique and differs slightly to an assembly line piece.

Many items on this car and interior are different. Even the wiring harness are different than assembly line. The rear radio bracket differs slightly from an assembly line version as well.

I plan on doing a thread on the component parts for this car and showing the differences between it and an assembly line piece and will post photos there instead of here.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Is it possible it was replaced under warranty with a 72 style dash? Dealer would have reused everything else originally in the car. My dad had an SS back in the day where the cigarette lighter stuck and melted the dash plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anything is possible but doubtful that it was a warranty deal especially being a pilot car and one that was really never meant for the public purchase. A 70 dash would have been readily available at that time anyway so no reason to not replace it with the correct dash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts