Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen on here many times that the pinion seal for the 12 bolt car rear end isn't available anymore and all that's out there is the truck 12 bolt seal. I have also read that because of that you don't want to install the "truck" seal all the way into the car housing because it will leak. Most folks say to leave it 1/16"-1/8" out of the housing.

I found this helpful video and I installed my seal with 1/8" gap between the seal and housing.

I was ready to install the yoke and I saw on the bag the seal came in that my "new" seal was made in 2011 (car has been off the road for a while) which got me thinking that maybe I bought the seal back when the car seal was still available.

The part number on the bag is 3924031. Can anybody tell me if this is a car or truck 12 bolt pinion seal? I have searched online for that number but I can't determine if it's for the car or truck rear.

Thx, Chris.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have seen on here many times that the pinion seal for the 12 bolt car rear end isn't available anymore and all that's out there is the truck 12 bolt seal. I have also read that because of that you don't want to install the "truck" seal all the way into the car housing because it will leak. Most folks say to leave it 1/16"-1/8" out of the housing.

I found this helpful video and I installed my seal with 1/8" gap between the seal and housing.

I was ready to install the yoke and I saw on the bag the seal came in that my "new" seal was made in 2011 (car has been off the road for a while) which got me thinking that maybe I bought the seal back when the car seal was still available.

The part number on the bag is 3924031. Can anybody tell me if this is a car or truck 12 bolt pinion seal? I have searched online for that number but I can't determine if it's for the car or truck rear.

Thx, Chris.

What brand is the seal?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts

Thx, Chris.

Quick check of the P/N via Google...it is a GM seal.

Crossreference part numbers that may help you. I think you have a truck seal thre but not sure. These following numbers are NOT the truck height seal...Rattech 6109 or Strange R5211D (those two are the same seal BTW). This do not tell you what you have but should be useful for your reasearch if you decie to dig in further.

TIMKEN8460N
GM12304975
GM3825136
GM3852984
TROSTELA45365P
VICTOR47388

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have seen on here many times that the pinion seal for the 12 bolt car rear end isn't available anymore and all that's out there is the truck 12 bolt seal.
The Ratech 6109 is the correct pinion seal to use in a "car" 12 bolt rear.
The Blue seal is the Ratech 6109 12 bolt pinion seal.
The Green seal is the GM "truck" 12 bolt pinion seal.

The best way to describe the Ratech 6109 pinion seal is that it is a "shorter" version of the 12 bolt truck pinion seal. There is no need to install the Ratech seal with a gap between the bottom of the seal's flange and the differential housing. The flange can be installed flush onto the housing without risk of the seal touching the outer pinion bearing, and the rubber seal will also ride higher on the machined surface of the pinion yoke (further away from the outer pinion bearing).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is green and probably the truck seal unfortunately. Found some more markings on the seal but nothing matched up to Oman’s chart.
I saw “17190”, “CR” and USA”.
If you short install the seal will it still clear and not rub the part of the yoke that is outside the housing?

thx

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if the back side of the yoke will clear the pinion seal if you short install the seal??

Thx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx Big Gear Head. That’s the answer I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The truck seal look a little more robust maybe the truck seal (almost looks like a double seal) with space method works better.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Truck seal is a double lip seat where the Ratech 6109 appears to be a single lip variety. The truck seal still gets my vote!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts