Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Must not have been a.popular option. I don't recall ever.seeing one.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
I believe it was part of the "light convenience group" which included the lighted rear view mirror, interior under dash lights, and trunk light. I think I'm missing a component, just can't quite think of it right now.

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
My car has the glove box light and.does not have the lighting option so I am guessing the glove box light was standard. Ash tray maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
On my 70 El Camino when I ordered it. The 70 option was called " Auxiliary Light group. " It had a bunch of stuff.---- Windshield washer low fluid light ( Fiber optic),,,Rear view mirror light (slide switch),,,Door jam lights,,,Ash tray light ( fiber optic),,,Glove box light,,,under hood light.,,,(cars)Trunk light ? I would guess 69s had an option close to the 70 option? I may be wrong, I do believe, On some Chevelles "" Depending on Year & Model ", Some hood lamps were mounted on the Left or on the Right underside of the hood. In other words, The SAME YEAR, Depending on WHAT model Chevelle, Had Two different mounting locations in the same year for the hood lamp
Bob
Come on and think, We need to get some light on this question !

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
I believe the light under your hood will be above your engine dipstick. That's why it could be installed L or R side depending on the model.
:cool: In 1969 the position of the Lamp depended on the engine being a SBC or a BBC. I believe in 1970 the lamps were on the right side regardless... Trivial Trivia. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
On mine - in the photos above, it's just off center of the air cleaner wing nut toward the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I installed mine just off center on the passenger side. Pretty sure I would have gone by the Factory Assm Manual.??? But it been 19 years + or -...

(P.S. This was a Baltimore built Chevelle. I have since removed the firewall markings.)

Attachments

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
I installed mine just off center on the passenger side. Pretty sure I would have gone by the Factory Assm Manual.??? But it been 19 years + or -...

(P.S. This was a Baltimore built Chevelle. I have since removed the firewall markings.)
FWIW my Baltimore built '69 SS had firewall markings I uncovered when stripping it. The markings were on the bare metal which no doubt showed through the thin black lacquer factory firewall paint when original.The marks were: "ORG" over a "B". The paint code on the trim tag was 72 B.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here you go:
Thanks guys for all the help........My 69 has two holes in this exact location on my hood.
Also my 69 has the map light, trunk, glove box and I think ash tray. (ash tray missing)
Now I will have to find out where my power wire went. Should it be hot all the time so the light will work with key off & hood up?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help........My 69 has two holes in this exact location on my hood.
Also my 69 has the map light, trunk, glove box and I think ash tray. (ash tray missing)
Now I will have to find out where my power wire went. Should it be hot all the time so the light will work with key off & hood up?
Thanks again!
It will have a long lead wire that goes to the horn relay lug

Reactions: chevelle69chris

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Yes. Because it was on all the time, I removed the bulb. Didn't like it on when the hood was up at a car show.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Here is another way to wire a Chevelle under hood light. I wired my 70 like the Oldsmobiles were wired. With the Olds underhood light, The headlights had to be on,,, Or NO hood light.
So wiring it like the Olds, No hood light at shows when the hood is up. :thumbsup:
Bob

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
All the ones I have seen the wire is black

Reactions: NickeyChevelle

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Don't know if this holds true for under hood but any interior light that is constant 12 volts is orange. In addition wires that power lights when the headlight switch is pulled are gray.

Reactions: chevelle69chris
1 - 20 of 25 Posts