Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 396
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Team,

I just installed a 20 gallon stainless gas tank and straps from Ausley’s. The tank looks good but is a bit bigger from the original. I have about 1/4” clearance from the inside frame rails. I don’t like the belly on the straps. I’m most likely going to pull the tank back down and bend the straps to pull them tighter to the tank. I tried using my stock bolts to attach the straps but they were too short since the tank is a bit bigger. I ended up using 5” stainless bolts. On a positive note, my fuel gauge went from pegged full to empty so I know the new fuel sending unit works. Anybody have issues with these stainless Ausley’s tanks? Also has anybody had leak issues with the repro fuel line pinch clamps?
Thanks,
Javier
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Alloy wheel Fender Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Leg Automotive tire Human body Automotive lighting Grey

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I can not speak to Ausley's stainless tank fitment but there have been several threads here on TC about your exact situation with replacement tanks from various vendors. The straps always have to be massaged to match the contour of the tank once it is up in place. You may find that the original length hardware will work once you've done that. 1/4" clearance to the frame rails is adequate. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I would try to support one side and remove the strap for massaging to match the tank. Nice you get that fitting better, then do the other side. Tank looks good!

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,810 Posts
Reactions: Muscle65

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,876 Posts
When I replaced my tank I had bought new straps also but I ended up sandblasting my old ones and painting them back.
Grille Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 396
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I did add rubber strips between the tank and trunk floor. I’ve seen previous posts debating putting rubber between the tank and straps towards the bottom of the tank. Some say no way, others add some. Appears the factory didn’t do so. I also kept the original straps, they have a 24 stamped on them. Thought about sandblasting those and painting them black also. I’ll. do my best to bend the stainless straps to make them fit tighter. It definitely wasn’t fun getting the tank in, but I’ll have to do it a gain like a lot of you have. I’m confident it will all be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 396
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 727457 View attachment 727458 View attachment 727459 I used some small rubber strips on the supplied SS straps. Also added a USS painted logo to give an original vibe.
View attachment 727457 View attachment 727458 View attachment 727459 I used some small rubber strips on the supplied SS straps. Also added a USS painted logo to give an original vibe.
Wow, that looks really good. I’m going to take the tank down tomorrow and bend the straps a bit more. I’m concerned about the 1/4” clearance between the tank and inside frame rails. I’m just going to roll with it.

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, M20, 12 bolt 3:55, 454 w/fuel injection
36 Posts
Wow, that looks really good. I’m going to take the tank down tomorrow and bend the straps a bit more. I’m concerned about the 1/4” clearance between the tank and inside frame rails. I’m just going to roll with it.
I wouldn’t be concerned.
Just as David mentioned, 1/4 on each side is adequate. Onward! 👍🏻

1 - 12 of 12 Posts