Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to see what everybodys Chevelles have been doing at the 1/4 mile. And could anybody tell me what my stock SS396 w/ 3 speed stick should be pulling? I have 3.08 gears and its completely stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
why don't you take it to the strip and find out? there are too many variables, reaction time, hp, tires, weather conditions, etc. but I would say stock 325hp, with your gears and a good driver probably in the 14's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
14's IF you can hook up. Otherwise forget it (maybe you have a friend you can borrow some slicks or drag radials from). Another thing you'll need to get into the 14's is a positraction rear.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
E.T. slips can be cruel. I don't want to be the wet blanket, but I'll say high 15's. I base that on the high 14's my '69 turns with L78 cam, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.31 posi, and street tires. This was in hot, low density air. Your times will depend on the air density, track condition, driving technique, and state of tune of your engine. Let us know how you do. von

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have to agree with Von here. With a 3-speed and 3.08's I think mid-to-high 15's would be closer to your actual times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have to agree with Von, magazine (road tests), 1/4 mile times we're in the 15.25 to 15.50 range for the new '70 SS396 350hp version, auto, with 3.31 gears. I've got Hot Rod Magazines road test of a '70 SS454 LS6 and they blistered a 13.12 ET (forget about the 14's!!!) It was a 4 speed car (rockcrusher), can't recall the gear ratio.Their closing comment;there will never be a car like this again. How true.
Joe B

·
Registered
18 Posts
one more vote for mid-to-high 15s.
Going real fast in a chevelle is an art.

The trick is not to let yourself believe that your car "sucks" because it won't run 12s. You can run as fast as you want, but that costs time and money. Bragging rights can cost a lot of money and time. Don't be ashamed when a 99 camaro SS pulls away from you. It really is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My 70SS with 396 (350hp) basically stock except for comp 280h cam and edelbrock intake, 331 peg leg, TH400, and street tires runs mid(cool day/hot tires) to high(hot day/slick track)14's. It is an art to get out of the hole with peg leg and street tires but it can be done. You have to peddle it in first. If you smoke street tires forget a good time. Go AROUND the bleach box and do a couple dry hops up to the line. My first time down the track with this car I smoked em to the stagging lights(big mistake because it glazed the tires),took off and smoked em through first and second gear. May have looked impressive but it was a 16.2 1/4 and got beat by a mustang.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
5 Posts
steve s. what was your 1/8 times? my 70ss, 350hp ran 9.38, 77mph, 2.24 60ft. stock other than schnieder cam. iron manifolds, intake, q-jet, th400, 3.31 posi and bf's. have not ran a 1/4 with it. just wanted to compare.
thanks
bart

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
bart: sorry it took so long to reply, took a while to find a time slip as the last time I raced was over a year ago.
R/T .628
60' 2.239
330' 6.104
660' 9.333 MPH 75.64
1000 12.160
1/4 14.557 MPH 94.04
Looks like you and I would have a very good heads up race!
I have since found a problem with my mechanical advance(people were passing me on the top end which shouldn't happen with a BB) and I beleive with this fixed my ET would be a little lower and the MPH higher at the traps.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

[This message has been edited by Steve S (edited 04-12-99).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering (And I know everyone here probably hates me, but this is a good question) A stock mustang GT, 225HP 5 speed stick, is a high 14's car with a good driver. Low 15's with out. It weights roughly 3400lbs maybe a little less. A 396 chevelle has 325HP, and weights maybe only 200lbs more. Why would it only run mid-high 15's?? Im not gettin it here. A stang with 325hp, is capable of high 13's.

Just curious, not tryin to do any bashing or anything, thanks.

Sky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, does anyone know what a 1970 6Cyl nova would run. It had this done to it. motor replaced with a 1973 350cuin, w/ 650cfm holley, edelbrock intake, 3chamb flows, headers. 3 Speed auto. Otherwise stock gears etc.

Thanks,
Sky

·
Registered
16 Posts
ALSO, Can you guys revise ryankey's 1/4mile time. If he had 750CFM Holley, Edelbrock 2.0 Intake Manifold, 2chamber flows, and 3inch hooker headers?

Would it be much faster, Im, thinking a good ignition, and a 3.73 or 3.55 posi, could get this car into the 13's with an excellent launch. Because it seems as if the HP is there.

Sky

·
Registered
336 Posts
Saleen we appreciate your attitude change

anyways I thought the 396 times would be much faster..

I have a '70 el camino that will dip into the high 14's at about 100mph even.

its the classic 350/350 combo and get this, 2.56 one legger.

The engine definately isnt anything special but it runs real strong, with stock truck head, no porting etc...

I'll you know how it does with the 4.56 posi that should be in in a week.

mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey can anyone calculate my 1/4 times? I have a 72 Chevelle equipped with an LT1 and 4L60E tranny out of a 95 Vette. Mods include jet hot coated headers, performance tuned computer, K&N filter, 160 degree thermostat and 2.5 inch exhaust w/ dynomax mufflers. Any HP estimations? I am running 275-60 tires and a 3.73 gear ratio with a posi rearend. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by KaiserLT1 (edited 04-18-99).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ryankey...I stick with my original assessment. I run a 454 with 3.31 open differential (peg-leg) and 275/60R15 BFG Drag Radials. My ET's are 14.5 to 15 secs. and I don't even hook up until I pass the 60 foot mark. I'm adding positraction and upping my gears to 3.73 this week. Hopefully, I'll be on the track by Friday night and I will be very disappointed if I don't run in the 12's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So getting down into the sub-14's would require lower rear-end gears? Would you reccomend 3.55 or 3.73?? Or maybe even lower?? I'm not really worried about fuel economy, but I do want it to be drivable on the freeway....

thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
saleen306, A little expanation on my 325hp/396 times in the 15's. This is a tired motor, never rebuilt. Also, 3:23 rear end for cruising, I've not quite perfected "hooking up" with a 4 speed yet. The front end was lowered 2 inches which seems to make hooking up harder. This winter I rebuilt the front end to restore ride hieght, dropped a new 454 under the hood which will allow me some time to freshen the old 396. As I get better at pedalling I hope my times will drop. When I get the 396 back in meet me in Brainerd and we'll run down the track! Sounds fun, Later.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.