Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to install a auto console in my chevelle. The hump doesnt support this type of console. The car is not a standard car. It is an auto and to the best of my knowlege has always been auto. The hole in the hump is in a rectangular shape 5" wide. To narrow for a standard. There is a shift boot with hold down ring to match the hump. The carpet is cut out for a console. It looks like a straight line auto shifter. 1969 was the only year they had the "sports shifter"
M08. If not this shifter then which one.
Help if you have any ideas ???. The 69-70 auto console will fit but not the shifter.
thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It would be really neat to have that factory ratcheting shifter you are talking about. I would think it would be very remote that you would that shifter in that car. I was talking to Roger Ausley and he thinks less than 500 of those shifters left the plant. I think it was probably a bench seat 4-speed car at one time possibly. Is the carpet out? If the carpet is out and it came with a console it should have metal bracket welded to the floor and also a round hole where the shifting cable went through. It's about a 1 1/2 diameter hole towards the front. I hope I shed some light maybe?

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 07-20-99).]

·
Super Moderator
1,815 Posts
My 69 with a 4-speed and console has a long thin rectangular hole that is approx. 10" x 5" on a hump, the rectangular hole curves down slightly over the hump. The auto console cars have no hump and only a 1.5" dia hole. Sounds like your hump is just like mine, for a console and 4 speed. The bench seat 4-speed cars have a rectangular hole and a different hump. Look for other signs of the 4-speed, like bracket bolted to the frame below the master cylinder to hold the z-bar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bob is right! I found out the hard way on this subject. When I bought my SS it had buckets and a 4 speed. It didn't have a console so I bought a repoduction kit. I didn't have time to work on it when it came to my house and set it in the garage. Well 2 months later I got it out and it didn't fit. I thought this is for a different car. WRONG. The hump is totally different. So now I have to take out the bench seat hump and replace it with a bucket seat hump. I decided to leave as is and since it's been more than 30 days to return the items I will be putting in the parts for sale section. (20% restocking fee plus shipping back to the store) Other parts that aren't in the kit are the shift tunnel and rear bracket mount plus the lower seal for the shifter boot. Anyway good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.