Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevelle SS 396, Dusk Blue, Buckets, Parchment interior
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of the tabs of my brake booster is stamped "9391" I'm quite sure it's a date code, but what date is it?? my car was built in "early" 3rd week of December of 1968. Any in formation on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,679 Posts
On one of the tabs of my brake booster is stamped "9391" I'm quite sure it's a date code, but what date is it?? my car was built in "early" 3rd week of December of 1968. Any in formation on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don
:cool: The "9391" is the ID code for the Booster/Master Cylinder combo (last four of a P/N that is different from the Booster P/N by itself and/or the MC P/N by itself). Look on the opposite side of the same tab for a 3 digit number -- that is the date code.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
My 70 Org. booster has a THREE digit code. ( Julian) My booster code number is " 062 ". Or " 0 " = 70 then " 62 " = built on the 62nd day of 1970, Or near the end of the month in Feb. The Julian code is stamped on one of the little tabs. Give it a close look , :nerd: You will find the numbers.
My one owner is a Second Wk. of March build / Balt.
Bob

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did indeed find the "Julian date code" on the other side it's "341" which, if I'm correct is 7 Dec 68??

Thanks, guys,

Don

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Where exactly is the date code? Is this on the front or back side? By tabs I assume you are referring to one of the triangular shaped areas?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad, the tabs I was refering to are sort of rectangular "locking tabs". My date code was found on a tab located at approximately the 11:00 position facing towards the front of the car. It's kinda hard to see, but it should be there??
Hope this helps??
Don

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Don, thanks for the reply. Was,trying to determine if my booster was original to my car or even an original gm/delco booster. I have acquired an original master cylinder (mine was old aftermarket) and this will help me figure out if I need to acquire another booster.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Ok, another question here. I found the tab with the two codes. The problem with my booster is it has been painted (black) several times. So the stamped numbers are somewhat paint filled and kinda hard to read. Are the date code numbers right side up as in Bobs example or are they upside down? I see a paint filled stamping on the front side that I think is either 141 or maybe 161 depending on right side up or not. As far as the stamp on the back side it could be 9391, but is hard to read once again being painted and being installed.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,679 Posts
Are the date code numbers right side up as in Bobs example or are they upside down?
:cool: Remember that we're dealing with guys working on an assembly line who work for a company that the union hates and vice versa. In other words the watch phrase for the line workers is "get 'er done (translation: who gives a carp)" -- I'm sure they really didn't care which way the numbers ended up. However the norm is to be right side up.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
I have cleaned up the paint and it appears to be upside down 141. If not upside down then it could possibly be 171. I was able to read the numbers on the rear and they are 9391. My car was built 8/21/69, which should be 233 (julian) according to what the others reported that would be pretty far away to be the original booster.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
After researching this subject a little I found that the part number 9391 is the correct part number for a 69 Chevelle with power disc brakes. I may have tne julian code wrong but what are the chances that someone would have replaced the original booster with another with the correct 9391 part code on it.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
what are the chances? halfway between none and zero. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts